ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:08 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I wanted to ask everyone out there what they thought of this belt since I do not use a belt currently

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/im-5630.html

If others have other suggestions or links to better belts, please post a link, since I was told to buy a belt that is same size all the around the waist

Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:37 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Has anyone been able to expalin what a lifting belt DOES in relationship to the muscles used for heavy pulling and squatting? Now, and as a former bodybuilder, I have not worn weight belts for light or heavy squatting, simply because they are uncomfortable. Also, I don't see, biomechanically, how a weight belt does anything more than hold your belly in (if you have a big one). GNC and sporting goods stores made a fortune selling weight belts during the 80's, but I don't see them worn in the gym as much these days. Do they really protect you or offer some level of support?

Bio: Age 56; former NPC Masters Champion (1990); teacher; married with kids; heroes: John Grimak and Frank Zane; favorite sport: Steelers Football (worked in TV with R. Blier); hobbies: canoeing, cycling, free weight exercise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

belts are a bad habit that is best not started.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:48 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Keith, from a PL Standpoint, during a heavy lift, it is used so that the stomach can push against the beltfrom the deep position and coming up, so as to create a great rigidity in the core area. This is one of the reasons given to wear one while doing heavy lifting. I , personally, don't really like them, as it takes away from the supporting musculature (core). If you work your core hard, they shouldn't really be necessary. Another reason I won;t wear one is that the majority of my lifting is OL types of variations (classical OL, the power version, and lots of one and two hand DB ol moves), which requires the bar path to bome in tight to the body, and it catches a lot if I use a belt.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:19 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I think a lifting belt only becomes a crutch when it is worn very tight. Meanwhile, an additional advantage of wearing a belt is that it can give you tactile feedback, allowing you to correct minor mistakes in form that might otherwise go unnoticed. For example, if you start to round your back while squatting or deadlifting you'll feel a change in the pressure of your belt long before you see the problem in the mirror.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:21 am 

Matt brings up a good point on tightness. I've seen lots of people cinch them up as tight as possible when standing erect. If you don't knw already, when you squat down, your abdomen area expands a bit, and this can really put undue pressure on you. We've always followed the rule that when putting on a belt, allow at least a fingers worth to be able to fit between you and the belt, and preferably two fingers. One other thing about tight belts, and this for those worried about hernias, if you have an extremely tight belt on, the elevated pressure has no where to go other than down, and thats just inviting a pretty nasty blow out down there if you have weak spots in your wall down in that area.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:50 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

If you want to just lift more then go ahead wear a belt but if you are seeking to train specific motor patterns for specific tasks that require a stable torso then ditch the belt.