ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:08 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

One day I read you should work abs daily. then I read to work abs without weights and just by doing crunches etc.. Then I hear to train them every other day??? Now I hear you should work abs like any other muscle(once or twice a week with weights). Whats right??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:20 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Which one is correct? LOL, they all are, to a degree. You could always periodize it, as Ian King wrote in an article. Take a block of higher reps (say 15-20) for 4-5 days week, unweighted, for say 4-6 weeks, then go weighted in lower reps, say around 8-10 2-3X week. I don't have the article bookmarked anymore, and it might be over at Kingsport or at T-Mag, but it was titled "The thinking man's guide to abdominal training" by Ian King. It covers all modes, and he finds a use for all of the different variations (i.e. weighted, unweighted, hi rep, low rep, requency, etc). A search should be able to dig it up.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:42 pm 

Mike, here is the article I was referring to
http://www.testosterone.net/html/body_123abs.html
Good reading
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well you should WORK your abs the same ammount as other muscles. However by "work" many people mean some flat unweighted crunches and maybe some other real easy stuff. So in that case everyday is fine. Three times a day if you really want to. But why bother?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:29 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Great article Tim. I think that answered all my questions.

Post subject: abs and monkey muscles!!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:56 am 
hi! if you are asking the question maybe u should find different ways to train ur abs to keep it fresh and interesting. there are sports u can learn that are fun and really give a good workout all over. kayaking is great because it really works ur core, start off on a nice calm loch ( lake!) or slow river in summer so it's not too deep and make sure you go with a club that has qualified instructors to make your eperience enjoyable and safe. counterbalancing on the water is good fun and utilises the core synergistic muscles. paddling is good resistance training for the back pecs and biceps and triceps. rolling ( when u get to that ) is ( best done supervised ) good for the abs, back arms-esp the forearms and hands from gripping- and obliques ).

climbing is great for the lats ( monkey muscles as i like to call them cos i grew up climbing and swinging on trees!!) and legs, think about serious gastroc and soleus definition doing climbing! u are supposed to push with the legs more than pull with the arms apparantly but having stregnth in all areas is preferable i'm sure!! especially when there are overhangs which u can use to train your abs back and obliques.

i want to get monkey bars made!!
have you ever trained on an assault course? theres lots of things like rope swings and tyre swings that get you using your body like a monkey!! (ook ook!) you have to use ur abs to get momentum for swinging! i have instructed some interesting ropes challenges!! train with qualified instructors and always use a petzel gri gri ( a cam device for belaying which has instructions on it which u should be very careful to follow and when used properly is the safest belay and ascending device).

healthy regards

nicole :0)

niclecartersfunfitness@yahoo.co.uk (please e.mail if you would like an invitation to my 360 web page! )

rec_mike wrote:
One day I read you should work abs daily. then I read to work abs without weights and just by doing crunches etc.. Then I hear to train them every other day??? Now I hear you should work abs like any other muscle(once or twice a week with weights). Whats right??

Last edited by nicolecartersfunfitness on Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:48 am 
n00b
n00b

I believe that stability exercises (planks, bridges) if done below full intensity can be done up to 5 times a week, maybe 6. If you are doing heavy ab work, such as weighted crunches, than 2-3 times a week depending on volume and intensity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think for the stability exercises 2 or 3 times a DAY is ok if you really want too. For heavy ab work, I think volume and intensity variables and other exercises you are doing can make it 1 to 3 times per week. Abs can get blasted once a week just like everything else.