ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:15 am 
Novice
Novice

What are your opinions on the exercise? I know it gets a bad rap, but personally...ive grown to love it recently. Ive had alot of dislocation problems with my left shoulder being quite unstable when its in certain positions, so i proceded very cautiously with this exercise my first few times out. I couldnt use much weight at all, and had to do the move very slowly and deliberately as my shoulder did feel unstable and at risk throughout. But now its been maybe 3 or 4 weeks and i can now do with more weight and at normal speed without a problem! My shoulder feels more flexible and in general alot stronger than it has in years. Im still careful not to go TOO heavy and certainly not to failure, but its now a mainstay for me. What do you guys think of it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:39 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

The conventional wisdom is that push and pull exercises behind the neck are bad, but people with Olympic ltraining backgrounds do them all the time. TimD will probably touch base with you on that.

I would say that you're going about things the right way - slowly building up your workload on the exercise and paying attention to the result. Experience is the best teacher. If your shoulder is getting stronger and more flexible from your efforts, any criticism should be taken with a grain of salt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:21 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

I absolutely love them, and think that after easing into them, they are a mainstay along with overhead squats in keeping my shoulder girdle flexible and in balance. Sounds like you've gotten it down, and with no impingements, take the "no-no's" with a grain of salt. As a matter of fact, my pushpress B/Neck exceeds my front P/P
Tim