ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:41 am 
n00b
n00b

i am a overweight woman who has just done the Intragastric balloon system....my weight is 78 kg and having the balloon inserted in my stomach will help me to control what i eat. With the balloon inside, if i eat too much, i will puke.....the rationale is that with the balloon being in me for 6 mths, i will slowly modify my eating behaviors, & lose weight...

ever since i had the balloon (1 month ago), i also started my own exercise regime (signed up with a personal trainer at a gym) doing weights training & cardio 2 to 3 times a week....so that when i eventually lose weight, it won't be muscles or water that i am losing.....hopefully, it be fats that i am losing....but there is one major issue here...

since i can only eat abt 1000-1200 calories per day, will i become a case of "starvation" effect" which is defined as the inability to lose weight when one's caloric intake is too low...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:50 am 
Rookie
Rookie

**Edited to remove harshness**

Last edited by Sliver on Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:02 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi.

You may not like this answer but here goes...

Take that balloon OUT! I know you may have spent a lot of money on the procedure in the first place, and it would cost more to now remove it, but in MY OPINION do it if you can.

1200 kCal is rediculous for 78kg person. After 6 months of eating 1200 your metabolism will slow down so much, that when you start eating normally you are probably going to gain a lot of what you lost (if you manage to loose anything) and you are going to gain it with interest.

Also it does not sound like a good idea to have a baloon in your stomach and to puke vevery time you eat above 1200.

If you must keep the balloon and must stick to the 1200 kCal, keep your workouts very short and frequency minimal. 1200 kCal cannot support much activity for a 78kg person. I would weights for 30 min twice a week and a lot of LOW intensity cardio like walking or swimming/riding a bike at a leisurly pace 3-4 times a week for saybe 30-45 minutes. These are just guidelines.

Keep you diet extremely clean. There is no room for junk calories at all. When they remove the baloon at the end of 6 months, increase your intake SLOWLY. 1300 for 2 weeks, 1400 for 2 weeks etc. keeping your diet very clean.

I hope to see more people chime in here if they see any issues with my advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:20 am 
I agree, that's exactly right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:22 am 
n00b
n00b

George G wrote:
Hi.

You may not like this answer but here goes...

Take that balloon OUT! I know you may have spent a lot of money on the procedure in the first place, and it would cost more to now remove it, but in MY OPINION do it if you can.

1200 kCal is rediculous for 78kg person. After 6 months of eating 1200 your metabolism will slow down so much, that when you start eating normally you are probably going to gain a lot of what you lost (if you manage to loose anything) and you are going to gain it with interest.

Also it does not sound like a good idea to have a baloon in your stomach and to puke vevery time you eat above 1200.

If you must keep the balloon and must stick to the 1200 kCal, keep your workouts very short and frequency minimal. 1200 kCal cannot support much activity for a 78kg person. I would weights for 30 min twice a week and a lot of LOW intensity cardio like walking or swimming/riding a bike at a leisurly pace 3-4 times a week for saybe 30-45 minutes. These are just guidelines.

Keep you diet extremely clean. There is no room for junk calories at all. When they remove the baloon at the end of 6 months, increase your intake SLOWLY. 1300 for 2 weeks, 1400 for 2 weeks etc. keeping your diet very clean.

I hope to see more people chime in here if they see any issues with my advice.

hi hi dear, i will never dislike people giving me well-meaning advice even if it doesn't conform to what i am doing....thanks dear....i do realise exactly what u r talking abt....the balloon is already in me for 1 mth and i have seen positive changes in my body....so there's no way i am taking the balloon out now at this stage...call it vanity if u want to.....but i never want to be fat again....

lol...as i'm saying this, i am also thinking that probably in where u stay, 78 kg may not even be considered as fat.....but in where i live (Asia), i am considered fat by most standards....

that's precisely why i am reading up as much as i can to know exactly what i shd do in terms of my exercises and eating so i can do this in a better way

& believe me, i do realise that after i take out the balloon, i may gain back all my weight so i am not looking at the balloon as a permanent fix to my problems....but my rationale is that i have never had problems with exercising..i am quite an active woman but problem lies with my eating....so i feel that only by having the balloon in me, i can take the chance to re-program my eating habits and hopefully by the time i take out the balloon, the good habits will still continue to stay with me

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]