ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:31 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Right now I have adjustable dumbells (the bars where you can put barbells on and use it as a dumbell). I've considered actually going out and buying a dumbell set, but the only thing is that is much more expensive. Everyone else I know thinks the adjustable dumbells I use are worthless, so what is your guy's opinions? Also, if I do decide to go out and get some dumbells, have any advice about where they are cheap? I don't care if they are used or new, just the cheaper the better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:05 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

As long as the bars are not too long, what's the difference?

I have a set of dumbbells that go to 10 pounds, but also a set of adjustable dumbbells to which you can add increments, in order to go heavier. The plates also fit on a full bar to make a barbell.

The adjustable kind is more versatile and don't take up as much room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:24 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Here what I would do if I were you. I see you are in Ohio, so a Walmart or Sports Authority is probably within driving disance.Get some adjustable handles (I can't tell what you have as you were talking about adding barbells to adjustable DB's, which is total nonsense). I'd go for the standards. A handle with the star twist collar would be good for your purposes, and doesn't cost much. Because it's a pain in the a@@ to change quickly, I'd get 3 or 4 sets of handles. Then go out and get a pile of standard plates, 1 1/4 up to 10 lbrs. This way, you can preset the DB's up for different exrcises or sets so that you won't waste time between them. I have power blocks, so its quick and easy, but I got them on sale years ago, and they are extremely pricey these days. I also have 3 pairs of Oly DB handles to handle the Oly size. You are still probably looking at a couple of hundred bucks, but start low, 1 set handles, some plates, and build onto it over time. Also, during the buildup, a standard bar would be nice as an add on. I'd advise a 6 or 7 ft bar over the regular 5 ft, as it will handle more plates. Once you have the bar, start thinking of getting 25-50 lb plates. Use a picnic table bench for BP. Use wood and build a squat stand. It doesn't have to be done in one day. My collection has grown over the past 40 years.
Good training, Matt
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:31 pm 
Novice
Novice

A note on the twist collars: quality matters. My first pair were from Wal Mart. They had plastic collars, and the DB bars themselves weren't very heavy. They had plastic in the ends, so I suspect they were a little more hollow than I wanted.

I went to Sports Authority across the street and bought a second pair when I noticed the plastic collars were starting to slip -- not a good thing when you are hoisting them above your head! My second pair was heavier and had metal collars, although I'm not crazy about the plastic sleeve on them. It has a tendency to buckle with heavy weights. I have a feeling I'm going to be puchasing a foot or so of pipe to slide over them eventually.

One thing I would have done differently is what Tim suggested, namely buying multiple pairs. It can take up my entire rest time between exercises just changing the plates! It doesn't sound difficult, but it's a pain to do when you are tired from lifting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:02 pm 

Hi guys. Drew is right. I got mine from Walmart 10 years ago, to go with the standard plates we had on the ship. Yes, make sure they are solid. Mine were solid metal (don't know what), and were chromed. The Star spinner collars were also solid metal.They fit on easily, spn down, and there was absolutely no way they would slip off.Yes, they migh loosen up, but would never come off the bar to create a hazard. Just use your head and be smart when choosing a pair.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:59 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

lol...i feel stupid. I meant they are dumbells in which you add plates usually reserved FOR barbells to them. I wasn't thinking to clearly when I posted, sorry. I think I have what you are referring to Tim, and actually already have a decent amount of 10,5, and 2 1/2 plates. The handles fit 2 inch plates (I think its 2 inch, the same size as an olympic barbell), and I have a large exercise ball for exercises such as the bench press. I haven't completely worked out all the odds and ends, but the collars themselves give me the most trouble (and yes, adjusting the weights inbetween sets). I will have to look in to getting a better collar. Those star twist collars sound better than what I have, I think called spring collars. The same collars I used to use on my dad's weight bench. The big "Clips". And yes, plenty of department stores are at my diposial. I guess I just needed some encouragement to invest any more money in adjustable dumbell hands, because some friends of mine think because they are a little bit longer than the standard, preset dumbells, they are to awkward to use. Of course, buying 50 or 60 pound preset dumbells costs about twice as much as just buying some plates for adjustable handles. Thanks for the positive responses all...and for not totally ripping on what must have been a confusing error (putting barbells on dumbells...hah)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:30 am 

Well, Matt, if you have the 2 inchers, sounds like it's Oly size, but in any case, you have a start on something. Good deal. Just keep adding on to it, and to the nay sayer, tell em to go get bent. Weight is weight, doesn't matter if it's hex, fixed, adjustable, Oly or standard. To save money in the long run, just add on with bars, handles, plates, etc, to what you have existing. You'll end up like me, with more stuff than you could possibly use, after 30-40 years, LOL. Good training Matt.
Tim