ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:23 pm 
former lurker

Hi

I use computer a lot because of my work.I have got aches on my back and neck.What should i do for saving myself from this aches.Can excercises be effective.if so what kind of excercises do you suggest.

Many Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:12 am 
Rookie
Rookie

First, check your ergonomics. Make changes and pay strict attention to the way you sit and the way you reach. Get up and take a break at least once an hour. Search ergonomics for good ideas. The aches come from poor posture for hours on end. Eventually you could end up with protracted shoulders.

There are also many range of motion exercises to do. Search for these. They will help maintain full range of motion and counteract the strain. I have developed arthritis in my shoulder and I am now doing rom exercises twice a week. They do feel good.

The other thing that helps is to build muscle in your upper back, as well as lower back and total body. Strong muscles enable you to hold erect posture over a long period of time. If you don't do any lifting, start. This site gives excellent exercises for all parts of the body, under exercise directory.

Hope this helps...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:13 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Firstly rid yourself of the belief we were all taught in school that there is such a thing as a definitive poor seated posture or a good one. Whilst ergonomics has a role to play in workstation setup etc the standard postural guidelines used are misguided but are beginning to change. Ideally a 'good' posture is one which you don't maintain for longer than approx 15min. A postural change doesnt take much and can be as simple as a slight adjustment to seat tilt, leg movement etc as long as it doesn't compromise the ergonomics of monitor height, wrist angle etc. Incorporate pause stretching of the cervical and thoracic musculature as well as shoulder girdle muscles. Set your office up so that you will have to get out of your chair as often as possible if only for 30secs. When you do stand up extend your spine fully and stretch your arms to the ceiling and take a number of deep breaths to shift your disc nucleus' back to a more central position. Finally forget strengthening your lower back and or 'core'. The hype surrounding this subject is reaching 'Atkins diet' proportions with everyone jumping on the core strengthening bandwagon. Unfortunately the evidence suggests that back and core strengthening and flexibility are not correlated to back health but what it does show is that muscular endurance has a definate role to play so you should concentrate on this above all else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:06 am 

From Oregon OSHA - It might help you out:

http://www.cbs.state.or.us/external/osh ... s/207w.pdf