ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: push pull body workout
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:31 pm 

Alright dadgummit. I am going to try a push/pull program and forfeit my body part program for 6 weeks. I know, I know, welcome to the 21st century. I've catagorized all my exercises and will workout 5 days a weeks. Comments please:

Day 1 Pull
Flies
Incline flies
Preacher curl
Monkey curl
Seated DB curl
Hammer curl

Day 2 Push
Bench
Incline Bench
Decline Bench
Floor DB Press
Close grip decline BB bench
Skull Crushers

Day 3 Pull
Rows
Seated cable rows
lat pull down
dumbell row
Prayer pull downs (don't know what else to call them) You kneel with your face towards an inclined bench and pull cables down.
Shrugs

Day 4 Push
Military press
behind the neck press
squat
leg press
calf raises
Behind the head db tricep press

Day 5 Pull
Hang clean
standing row
lawn mower pulls
tricep press down
hamstring curls
leg curls

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:21 pm 
n00b
n00b

That's a heck of a lot of volume. Are you doing all of these exercises every week, or is this a list from which you'll periodically rotate your exercises? I also do the push/pull routine, but I simply alternate push days and pull days on Mon/Wed/Fri. I love it because it's a great way to organize your excersizes, and it breaks up the monotony quite nicely.

My only other comment is that flies are a push - not a pull (unless you're doing them on a pull day by design).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:41 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Holly anabolia, Hoosegow...you are an ANIMAL!

Bio: Age 56; former NPC Masters Champion (1990); teacher; married with kids; heroes: John Grimak and Frank Zane; favorite sport: Steelers Football (worked in TV with R. Blier); hobbies: canoeing, cycling, free weight exercise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:28 am 

This is what I have been doing - for a couple of years now. It is just usually broken down by body part. When you think about that way, it is not that much. I've never had any problems with over training. I guess my basic question would be should I disperse my body part exercises better throughout the week?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:21 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Actually, he didn't mention sets/reps, so it might not be all that much volume. What he did do though, which might not be a real bad idea from a bodybuilding perspective, is to take a major move and follow it up with a couple of others. If I was doing his routine, I would hit the major move for 2-3 work sets, then take the follow ons for 1-2 work sets (not including any necessary warmups), and it's entirely possible he could get through it with major recuperation. I'm not a big fan of going intensly for 5 days straight though, even with a split. Yes, some areas are resting where others are working, but with the exception of the biceps day, the CNS is still getting hammered. Might sound strange coming from me, as I go 3 on 1 off, full body, sometimes mutiple sessions/ day, but the intensities are varied, as is the emphasis on conditioning strength, and volume. But, if you're not having problems with recuperation, why fix what isn't broken?
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:52 pm 

What about this Tim - it follows my normal workout routine:
Day 1 Pull
Rows
Seated cable rows
lat pull down
dumbell row
Prayer pull downs (don't know what else to call them) You kneel with your face towards an inclined bench and pull cables down.
Shrugs

Day 2 Push
Bench
Incline Bench
Decline Bench
Floor DB Press
Close grip decline BB bench
Skull Crushers
Flies

Day 3 Pull
Hang clean
Preacher curl
Monkey curl
Seated DB curl
Hammer curl

Day 4 Push
Military press
behind the neck press
squat
leg press
calf raises
Behind the head db tricep press

Day 5 Rest

Day 6 Pull
standing row
lawn mower pulls
tricep press down
hamstring curls
leg curls

Day 7 Rest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:01 pm 

From a bodybuilding perspective, it doesn't look bad to me at all. If I were to try it, I'd probably throw in a rest day between 2 and 3 and keep all else the same, but only you know if you can recover. If you can, then go for it and give it an honest shot. If not, throw in another rest break. The body is an amazing thing, and it can adapt quite nicely to many stresses. Thats why when people tell me I can;t lift everyday, well, I laugh at them, because I know that if I control the volume and intensity, I certainly canlift daily. You just have to try things out and judge for yourself on how it affets YOU.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:16 am 
n00b
n00b

While we're on the subject...

This is my current push/pull routine. I'm a middle-aged ectomorph looking mostly for general maintenance and some growth. So far this seems to suit me but I'm wondering if it's enough volume. The schedule is simply to alternate push day and pull day, working on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. So I'm working each group 1 1/2 times per week (i.e. this week push on Mon/Fri, pull on Wed., then next week pull on Mon/Fri and push on Wed. and so on). For variety, I'm doing 5x5 for a couple weeks, followed by 3x8 for the next two weeks. Any comments, please fire away.

PUSH

Squat
Calf Raise
Incline Press
Decline Press
Pec Deck or Flys
Military or Shoulder Press
Bench Dips

PULL

Deadlift
Shrugs
Chin-Ups
Pull-Ups
Seated or DB Row
Hammer or E-Z Bar Curl
Abs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:22 am 

Sounds pretty solid to me, and plenty of volume. Just keep a log and track your progress, and tweak it from there.
Tim