Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fun time with rc injury
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:33 am 
Novice
Novice

its been a while for a few reasons
1- all the spam and bots were really annoying (big pet peeve)
2- also been spending lots of time on the river canoeing and swimming
3- since im on parental leave the family and i have been doing some travelling
4- injured rc - infra/supraspinatus

i flipped my canoe powering through a huge crashing wave and managed to mangle my shoulder, slight tears in infra/possibly tears in supra, still have to do further exams - cant lift and wrestle with my sons for a while
i have been going to physio at my sports clinic getting it pampered by the red haired doc (very gorgeous)
everytime she tells me to take my shirt off i think that my wife would get mad but i gladly to do it - hah

so to give you example how bad my shoulder is, i have always done lots of rc muscle exercises - internal external extension abduction - to keep them strong and to give more stability (very important group when paddling)
for example external rotation with db i used to do 12-20 lbs of 3sets with reps varying - sometimes to failure
now for external i can barely manage 5 lbs for 2 sets of 10 and cannot do anything over head yet without pain

my program of 5-6 stretches and 4 exercises twice a day has been greatly improving my shoulder - exercises use db and bands (which are my fav)
my doc doesnt think i will need surgery but like i said earlier i need more indepth exams, which i believe i have one today

thats all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:55 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

you need an mri to determine the exact damage.
arthroscopy is not as bad as it sounds and is the only way to get rid off the problem once and for all.
I had one about 4 weeks ago, multiple partial supraspinatus tears, before the surgery my arm was cold, numb and lots of pain.
All of them disappeared after the surgery. Now my arm is warm, no pain at all. I forgot to tell you that I had a shoulder dislocation in windsurfing.
yesterday I had my first kynisiotherapy session, the PTherapist was very satisfied. I need first to further strengthen and stabilize the scapula.
I will start bodybuilding by Jan 07, but my doctor said that I should not return to windsurfing until the next Summer, July-August 07. It is a long recovery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:31 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Good post Paul. I hope everyone here reads it. I keep seeing over and over on this and other boards about how does one rehab he rotator area. Seems like you got the message across quite well. Go to a certified Physiotherapist and arthroscopy if necessary. Thats exactly what my father did. He's had numerous surgeries in the shoulders over the years, and thats the same route he took, and it's working well for him.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:29 pm 
Novice
Novice

had an mri yesterday, and it was determined that there is no tears, big thumbs up for that, shoulder is feeling better every day
even went to the river and did some light paddling felt good but cant do anything too hardcore yet
as to rehab and seeing a PTherapist it is defintely a must when injuring yourself
good thing it is pretty much end of season soon and i wont miss to many days and i have all off season to get back to 100%

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:04 am 
Rookie
Rookie

@TimD

I am sorry for your father, how it happened and why he had so many repeated injuries?
There is no doubt that Arthroscopy is the best treatment when it is necessary. I friend of mine had also a shoulder dislocation but he opted not to have an Arthroscopy. Now his shoulder is sensitive to weather changes and he has to do a lot of exercises for this particular problem.
He still can have the surgery and get rid of all those problems, this is the good thing about arthroscopy.

@Eric

congrats for the mri results.
do not try to strengthen the rc now, it needs its time to heal, try some pain free range of movement exercises. I agree PT is a must as long as we stick to the advice. I do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:59 am 

Hi Paul. I'm not exactly sure what the original thing was with Dad. What I do know is that he had something up there in a degenerative state. It first bame noticeable in the mid 1950's (I was just a kid back then), and being bullheaded about things he choose to use it when he shouldn't have. Med proceedures weren't what they are today, so they did numerous surgeries. It wasn't until a couple of years back that they turned to the arthroscopy. A bit late, as he doesn't have much cartilidge left up in either shoulder, but much better than if he hadn't.
Tim