All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Do You Grunt When You Work Out?
Yes 83%  83%  [ 10 ]
No 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 12
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:56 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Read the following article and it got me thinking - how many of you grunt when you work out?

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_305235233.html

I did a lot when I was younger, but since I rarely train with maximal weights these days, I don't grunt much now. My health club (NYSC) doesn't have a no grunting policy, yet few people grunt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:31 pm 
Novice
Novice

depends on what im doing and the weight
sometimes i do sometimes i dont mostly loud breathing
but i still think it is ridiculous that he got booted for a grunt
i dont know about you guys but hearing someone grunt is not that intimidating

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:10 pm 
n00b
n00b

Yeah that seems like a pretty lame gym if you can't grunt... seems like normal behavior. I wonder if they really expect people to lift weights quietly, or if they're just talking about the loud obnoxious stuff. I said that I grunt on the poll, although now that I think about it I probably don't make much noise... then you got some people that feel it necessary to let the whole gym know they're lifting something heavy: "NNNGGYYYEEAAAHHHHH!!!!!!11one" I bet the guy was doing that.

Post subject: Grunting at the Gym
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:34 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

At the gym I train in, the owner posts intimidating signs on the wall, refering to bodybuilders as "muscleheads." Some of the messages are somewhat threatening and about replacing weights, not grunting. We are free to groan, grunt, and praise the Lord at our gym without objections. Hey, that's American, right? The next time I'm in the area of a Planet Fitness Gym, I will find a restaurant that serves chili, have several bowls of it, and stop in for a complimentary workout. Then, I will be sure to "release" my opinion about their stupid grunting policy.

Bio: Age 56; former NPC Masters Champion (1990); teacher; married with kids; heroes: John Grimak and Frank Zane; favorite sport: Steelers Football (worked in TV with R. Blier); hobbies: canoeing, cycling, free weight exercise.

Last edited by Keith Rowland on Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:37 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Speaking of lame gyms, thats why I don't do them anymore. I may grunt occasionally,but it's when I'm out in my back yard. I have the power rack and the weights out there I just go out back, do my thing, and my 3 dogs love it, because they can get on the fence line and terrorize the school kids that often cross by my back fence. I've been thrown out of gyms in the past for less than grunting. I walked into one place, and did the old York 3 course, which is a 1 and 2 arm barbell repition wieght lifting course. I started out with the 1 arm BB jerk, got some odd looks, then went to exercise 2, which ws the BB 1 arm snatch. I heard "fire in the hole" after the first rep, then had the mgr come up to me and kick me out. No thanks. I'll stay with the back yard (or kitchen-depends on the weather) thing.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I do sometimes. I saw what the guy did and it wasn't real loud. I can understand if guys are screaming like they are giving birth back there, but a little grunting is ok. A no grunting policy is so lame. Sometimes people make an accidental hiccup sort of noise when they breath at a certain point in a lift. Next thing they are going to say it's to intimidating to lift heavy, so everyone has to go light. They will end up doing personal trainer workouts which are mostly isolation on machines with 50% of 1 rep max for 10 half hearted reps.

As much as some of the stuff I see those dumb trainers do makes me cringe, it is nice that you can grunt at the gym I go to. There are plenty of bodybuilders and powerlifters around who are obviously on steroids grunting away. It doesn't stop the old lady's from going back there and pumping iron to loose weight. I don't think intimidation stops many. It is generally the "woman workouts" that do that. (think 20 reps, crazy light weights and endless sets of isolation.) Even those girls go back there for the odd set of alternating arm swiss ball supinated dumbbell press or whatever they do.

If I got told what to do I think I would go somewhere else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:33 am 

Kicked out for grunting? Gotta be the dumbest thing i've ever heard of.

This is why i workout at home in the garage and in the yard. I grunt, fart, spit, swear, and (hold on to your hats) DROP weights! And, (shh - don't tell anyone) i use chalk and some actually sprinkles onto the floor!

Give me a break.

TimD - i got tossed from a gym once for doing one arm swings with heavy dumbells, another time for doing shovel lifts a la Steve Justa. ANother time i induced looks of extreme horror when i did floor presses - not so much for the presses themselves, but the hip toss to get the weight overhead. The pencil neck manager then nearly crapped himself when i started doing the floor presses in the neck bridge position. I think there is still a bounty on my head for that one....

sheesh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:59 pm 

Easily the funniest thread in a while. I got to go back and finish my last set of 15X15s on my swiss ball. That's 15 reps of 15 pounds to all you, what was it Hoister, pencil neck managers. You think you impress me while grunting pushing up 5 plates on each side as you squat? All that does is make your butt big. I just want to tone up. You do all the squatting and deadlifting you want. I, on the other hand, will have a strong core to go along with toned body. Um, can thumbody get like a vaccuum cleaner? There appearth to be thum chalk on this barbell. And get out of the squat rack so I can do some barbell curls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lol, Hoosegow, that is exactly the personal trainers at my gym. I'm glad they don't hastle people for grunting or lifting heavy. They are still just that stupid though. Somehow trying to work abs while doing a chest exercises makes sense to them.

You are never going to believe this. I was just a few feet away from a trainer "helping" a "client" (in other words, the blind leading the blind). She had this chick on a bench inclined about halfway between incline bench and overhead press. Had her doing a morph between press and flys. She was putting the dumbbells more in front of her rather then up, crazy light too, like 7.5 lbs each.
She says to girl "you should feel it here." points to sternal pecs. Girls says "NO, I feel it here." points to clavicular pecs. trainer chick/moron again points to sternal pecs "Are you sure? so, you don't feel it here?" "No" says client/victum, "I feel it here" Again pointing to clavicular pecs.

Later I whisper to trainer/moron that she has it the wrong way around. She denies what she said and insists she was checking to make sure client/victum felt exercise in the right place. I just drop it. Remembering that 5 sets each of 3 or 4 exercises of 15 reps at 40% 1RM is done for elbow flexion. You must of course superset that with jumping jacks.

Then you do lunges, but only if the client almost falls down when they do them (IE fat people). If not they have to do 15 sets of leg extensions at 15 pounds, 20 reps. Then superset them with one arm machine preacher curls with 20 reps, 10 pounds. If they do almost fall over while doing lunges, they do them with 5 pound dumbbells and they do curls at the same time.

Another non-trainer related funny story.

These 2 morons were doing cheat curls in a power rack with WRIST STRAPS and a BELT. I $h1t you not! One of these mentally challenged folks worked up to 275. They would not just cheat curl from rep 1, but just about jump to make bar go from point A to point B. I don't think the biceps were involved much. Heals and floor where just about strangers. They had decent size arms though. Which just impressed upon me the fact that while steroids may be dangerous, they are truly miracle drugs.

Until recently I didn't know they made people that stupid.
deetdudee!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:04 am 

Come on Ironman. You are just in denial. You've known for a long time that people are "that stupid." How else to explain democr, whoops, I almost started a political discussion. Whew!

Actually from T-nation and Tim and Ironman I hope I am not infringing on some internet copywrite code here:

Today's tip comes from Charles Poliquin:

"Entertainment Training"

The BOSU ball? The BOSU ball is a Swiss ball for morons! For one thing, when you stand on it you're always bowlegged. Why do you want to get into a position that's not good for your knees and ankles? What about doing it on one foot? So what, then you have to reduce the load! I call this "entertainment training," not strength training. And any time I see that horse$h1t, I want to kick the personal trainer in the head with a pair of steal-toe construction boots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yea, you're right. I keep telling myself people aren't that stupid, but deep down I know I'm full of $h1t. That's what bugs me. Everyday those trainers shatter my fragile world I have in my head, the one where most people are reasonably intelligent.

I always did like Charles Poliquin. I have even more respect for him now. I remember telling the trainer to move the client away from me with that thing. The last thing I need while squating with a heavy bar on my back is to have some guy fall down on me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:07 pm 

Ask one of them to spot you one of these days. You want to see fear...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:39 am 
n00b
n00b

Amazing!!!
I am shocked that in this day and age that people like that can own a gym. Obviously this is a person who has an inferior complex with people that,who like to train there bodies to the maximan.When I am in the gym nothing makes me feel more alive than the sounds of grunts and groans as it is a sign of effort and achievement. I think the word should go out to boycott her gym and for her to return to the dark closet she obviously came from.