ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: neck and shoulder pain
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:29 pm 
former lurker

The other day in the gym, a woman suggested I change the way I was doing my lateral raises- bent over with my elbow bent instead of straight out to the side- easier on the neck. This did relieve some tension on my neck. Today when I was doing supine chest flys, I realized I was straining my neck again- I do it with alot of excercises, even running. No wonder why I'm always injured. Any suuggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:07 pm 
The woman at the gym suggested a completely different exercise. Do laterals the way you were doing them. Do them her way if you need something for rear delts. Your back workout should be enough for rear delts however. If your neck hurts doing laterals, it probably means your upper traps need some work. There is probably pressure on the levator scapulae because they are doing some of the work because of the week traps. Try doing shrugs to strengthen the upper traps. Use heavy dumbbells or barbell that you can only shrug 4 or 5 times. Do 4 or 5 sets like that. You should only need a minute of rest, or do them in between other exercises. Do them on the same day you do your laterals. Keep your neck still and look straight ahead when you do them.

The other problem is tension. You need some sort of relaxation. Maybe try stretching, meditation and maybe some yoga. Try to hit someone up for massage too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:08 pm 
One more thing. Do you always train to failure? If so, stop doing that for about 4 weeks.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]