ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new abdominal excercise
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:30 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

This is beyond unreal. The soreness that is in my abdominals is unmatched from any number of crunches or situps I have ever done.

So let me give you some back story. I'm learning how to breakdance and I'm practicing a few moves with my friends. We have some mats so we try doing some one-handed tricks, namely the valdez. This is how the valdez works. You put your hand behind you on the ground so that you are facing upwards and your hips are pointed toward the ceiling. In one motion, you push off with your legs and tighten up your arm as your legs fly backwards. As they arch backwards, you land with your feet first and that's it. Here is a video since words can't really describe it. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=U4Jq7ctY5L0).

Unbeknownst to me, I did about 15-20 of these, trying to perfect it and trying to get the movement down as slow as possible. The next day, my abs felt like the were broken. Obliques (particularly my left side) were ridiculously tight. The rest of my abdominals felt as though they were put through the grinder.

Also note that I had been training my abdominals for at least a few months.

So, to the exrx community, I don't ask that you do a valdez (though if you want, it's really fun to do). What I ask of you is tell me why it works the abdominals so well. In the descriptions for abdominal excercises, "Rectus Abdominis and Obliques only contract dynamically if actual waist flexion occurs. With no waist flexion, Rectus Abdominis and External Oblique will only act to stabilize the pelvis and waist during hip flexion. It may be necessary to completely flex the hips before waist flexion is possible. " When I do valdez's, I do not see any contraction. In fact, it stretches initially and then goes back to a neutral position. If that is so, why does it work my abdominals so well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:34 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

The muscular function of the rectus abdominis is to flex the spine. I don't see where the valdez does this. If anything, the backflip involves spinal extension, the exact opposite action.

The soreness that you feel is probably the result of your abs being stretched in an unfamiliar way. Overstretching can cause DOMS just as easily as weight work. If you use DOMS to measure your workout's efficacy, it's easy to mistake the two. That's my guess, anyway, for what it's worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:45 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It is because your abs are not used to it. The half-hearted crunches most people do are just about nothing. That is why it has that effect. Having your exercise properly weighted makes a HUGE difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:50 pm 
n00b
n00b

People get sore abs from doing back boats and bridges. Same thing as Stephen said, you just stretched your abs, so they are sore.