ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: teaching cleans
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:42 pm 
former lurker

Hi.

I'm new to the forums here, but I have been using this site (not exclusively of course) as a reference guide and I really like it.

I coach track at a small college and recently started a lifting program with my athletes (both male and female). Many of them do not have that much lifting experience (I'm no pro myself, but I know the basics)

Anyways, I'm having a lot of trouble teaching cleans, we have a strength coach on staff, but he's new to his position and is having just as much trouble as me with certain athletes.

The major problems that a few of the athletes seem to have is that they refuse to loosen their grip on the bar and also that they don't seem to be completing the pulling motion. I've been trying to isolate the steps, and am having most of them using barely any weight, but I could really use some ideas for cues and methods I could use to try to help those that are really struggling with it.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

TESS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:06 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Tess. It shouldn't look like you're pulling on the bar. You take the bar, deadlift it up to the knees by shifting your butt back, and getting your shins vertical. As the bar clears the knees, there is a natural reaction to slightly rebend the knees. At this point your trunk is about 45 degrees, with the bar about a third of the way up your thighs. From this point, youkick your hips into it, forcefully, and do a jump-shrug (get the shoulders up into the ears). This puts an upward momentum on the bar, and you do NOT conciously pull up with your arms (they will bend though due to momentum). Once you "pop" the bar, you dive under for the catch. Here is a site with good diagrams and instructions.
http://jva.ontariostrongman.ca/HP.htm
Also, the videos on this site are good, and there are also good videos over at crossfit.com . They do a lot of O lifting over there. Cossfit also has forums . Look into the Exercise forum. There are several USAW coaches that post over there (Mike Buergner and Gary Valentine).
Hope this helps.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:19 am 

Tim,
You guys post a lot of really good links. Is it possible to have a links page, or do you already have one and I haven't seen it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:58 am 

Hi Hoosegow, there certainly is a links page. It'down on the left side on the home page.
http://www.exrx.net/Links.html
However, something I should have cleared up above. At cossfit.com, they have an exercise section (take the link from the main page) which contains lots of videos, and the ones on cleans, power cleans, etc, were provided by Coach Mike Buergner, a Sr National coach with the USAW. The beauty of his video, is he uses his daughter to demo (a champ in her own right), and narrates segments, breaking them down, showing all the key points in techniques. Until I see something better, I'd recommend these for anyone interested in the O lifts. Also, the jva site is probably the best I've seen for descriptions on OL and other strength moves.
Tim