ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:44 am 
n00b
n00b

Hi guys,

I prefer to use levers over a barbell for things like an incline/decline bench press, but more than a few people have told me that it's better to do do it with a standard barbell. Is this true? If so why? Some others say anything will do.

I prefer to use levers because this way I can lift more weight without any help. Since I work out alone 99% of the time, it makes sense. If I do use the barbells I end up doing much lesser. What do you guys think?

- Sid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

barbell and dumbbells are better. If you fail on barbell just use the lower set of hooks. They just stimulate more muscle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:20 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

I prefer free weight, because they bring into account the stabilizing musulature that you wouldn't using levers. However, it personal preerence. If you have safety issues, then by all means use them. Free weight, machines, levers, cables, rocks, bags, etc all just means of providing resistance for exercise.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:41 am 
n00b
n00b

Yup, that's a good point. I guess I'll continue with the free weights, just a bit less. In any case I'm not too much into super heavy lifting.

- Sid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:08 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Just lift, bro. That's more than most fat-assed Americans are doing. Did you know that our children are expected to have shorter lives than we? Historically, that's the first time this has been predicted. Think about it...with our modern medicines and scientific advancements, how can this be true? Answers: childhood obesity, McDonalds, Nintendo, divorce rate, microwaves. My dad passed away yesterday, at the age of 90. He was a lifter since his teens and never stopped. Dad always had a garden and prepared fresh food to eat. He worked out at the Y in Pittsburgh with Bruno Sanmartino. That's old school, old country. I've been to Italy and France in recent years and can't remember seeing hogs like we have, swaying down the aisles of every Walmart in this country. We are killing ourselves off, man. Gotta go..my buddy just called from the gym. Every rep of every set will be in my dad's honor, today. I'm not going down without a fight.

Bio: Age 56; former NPC Masters Champion (1990); teacher; married with kids; heroes: John Grimak and Frank Zane; favorite sport: Steelers Football (worked in TV with R. Blier); hobbies: canoeing, cycling, free weight exercise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:54 am 

Keith, first off, let me say this, condolensces for your father. I'm around your age (57) and my Dad is 81, so I know what you're going through. Lost my Mom 20 years ago. Just hang tough. And you are right about todays children. I won't get up on a soap box, but I will make a few comments. When I grew up, there was no real fast food. Sure, you could go to the local pharmacy and they had a soda jerk and a small grill, but mostly it was Mom going out back, picking out the garden, then adding some meat she got at the market. When we left school, we rode our bikes (or walked) out to the nearest field, and did the sport of the season, went home around 5, ate dinner with the family, then did homework.
Now back to the original post. IMO free weights have more going for them, but like Keith says, just lift it. If it's weight, then fine.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yea machines are better then nothing. Sorry to hear about your father, Keith. It's really a shame when you see those kids that look like they are made of marshmallows. Kids as young as 7 have gotten type 2 diabetes. It's all the eating junk food and being sedentary. People are told to do low fat and cardio. It's not very effective, so they get discouraged. The diet makes them hungry and the cardio gets them bored, so they give up and gain more weight. Then companies sell them worthless gadgets and pills and starvation diets, just to rip them off. Then there are the incompetent personal trainers. It's really sad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:29 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks for your kind words, TimD and Ironman. I didn't mean to go off on a tirade, but you made some clear points about they way we grew up, compared to now. In our town, every other basement had a set of weights in it. A kid I lifted with had made dumbells using coffee cans and cement. We had a lat machine in my basement that consisted of a pully anchored to a floor joist, some rope, and a 150 lb. cleat from a coal barge. On numerous occasions, my mother had to come down to the basement to help me push the bar off my chest when I benched.

Bio: Age 56; former NPC Masters Champion (1990); teacher; married with kids; heroes: John Grimak and Frank Zane; favorite sport: Steelers Football (worked in TV with R. Blier); hobbies: canoeing, cycling, free weight exercise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:39 pm 

Hi Keith. It was the same the way I grew up. The coffee can thing really got me going. I can remember filling them with water, LOL, drilling hoes in them, etc. Although I really didn't consider it "weight training",in 69 when I was in
Viet Nam, We were constantly filling and throwing sandbags.Would have been a great thing to train for the WSM things. Hang tough Keith, and keep the best memories.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:45 am 

"Just lift, bro. That's more than most fat-assed Americans are doing."

My nomination for Quote of the Year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:46 am 
n00b
n00b

dumbells are the way to go,If you having problems going to the next level do not be shy , try asking someone in the gym that knows what there doing to give you a spot as 9 times out of ten that little bit of help will go a long way.good luck and I hope you achieve what you are aiming for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:05 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Keith

Sorry to hear about your father. But from what you said, he lived a good and healthy life. A role model for us all.

Be well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:49 am 
n00b
n00b

Keith,

My condolences. I'm sure we all have something to learn from ur dad.

- Sid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:18 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hey...cardio stuff can be very effective in maintaining heart health...also a great stress reliver!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:22 am 

Cardio is okay but I think Ironman was referring to aerobic stuff. This is actually a stressor on the body and in some people can make them more apt to store fat via the release of cortisol.

Cardio from lifting weights at a fast pace is better because it will boost your metabolism by adding muscle, as is faster paced anaerobic stuff like sprinting.