ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:31 am 
Rookie
Rookie

You need to get your glutes over to YOUTUBE and catch two film pieces showing the great John Grimek posing and lifting, as well as Bob Hoffman doing a bent-arm press. I met Grimek in 1969, and he was still a bad ass as he neared the age of 70. His physque and strength were a tribue to genetics and dedication, not science. Did anyone else ever travel to York, PA and meet either Grimek or Hoffman? I was 19 and was quite impressed by John's down-to-earth quality. He drove a beat-up Fiat and sported a black eye from an wrestling match that became a bar brawl the night before. He had worked in the mills most of this life and was a blue-collar iron man through and through. By the way, does anyone know how long Grimek lived? I met another guy there, named Steve Stanko. Does anyone (born in 1950 or earlier) remember this lifter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:44 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Yes Keith, I know who he was. He was another York lifter, won the US chamionship, in the then hwt class (anything over 198 lbs). He was in the true tradition of York. Most were both bodybuilders andlifters. Something of a rarity today. I sometimes confuse him with a lifter names Stancyk, but all 3 (Grimek, Stanko and Stancyk ) with the old York club. The York club were real powers in the lifting world, and produced a lot of bodybuilding champs as well. Grudingly, Hoffman even got into powerlifting when it started getting popular in the mid 60's, and a lot of the early powerlifters were crossovers from O lifting. I still use some of those old York courses from time to time.
Speaking of old timers, I met Tommy Kono about 13 years ago when I was living outside of Pearl Harbor. 4 time world champ in OL, different weight classes, and a Mr America to boot. He was getting up there in age, but still looke pretty spry. He was a head of the Parks and Rec Division in Honolulu, and was supervising the installation of the nature walks along Waikiki beach. He had nic paths along the beach, and every so many yards there was a station, where you would do the indicated exercise. They had bards for pullups and p bar dips, overhead ladders, and of course the tire tun. Pretty cool course.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:38 am 

Do you have a link Keith?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It is easy to find, just go to youtube and put Grimek in the search box.

What were Grimek's training routines like? You never see much about old timer training. It has to be pretty different though, because there was no Weider and no steroids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:33 pm 

Hi Ironman, I can't give you a specific routine, but it was based on Hoffman's 4 courses, which were in turn based on ealier volumes by Calvert, Jowet, and the others that came before him. Basically, what they were was simply full body routines, comprised of both basic exercises and the lifts of the day. Not many isolation moves either. Not a whole ot of sets per exercise, although Hoffman like using more exercises rather than more sets, say one of each. Not much in the way of splitting up bodyparts either. What made Hoffmans a bit different than the others was that his first two courses were a similar but different collection of basic exercises. Course 3 was repition lifting, and course 4 was basic lifting were you worked up to close to a max on the lifts of the day. At that time, the bent press and the 1 hand version of the BB clean and jerk and snatch. Quite a bit different from the Weider model of marathon sessions that became popular in the late 60's and 70's. here is a collection of a bunch of the old timer's training manuals. If you sroll down to Hoffman and take the link, it has his advanced methods in his listing,and is an interesting read.
http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competition/compindex.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's a cool site. Lot's of good stuff there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:26 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Great site...makes me wish the internet existed when my interest in weight training started. The amount of information that can be accessed today is incredible. Thanks for that link!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:20 pm 

That is a great site. Great reading material there. I've been through every syllable there probably 3 or 4 times.