Day 1 Mon
Squat 4-5 x 6-8 (take 2-3 lighter warm ups and hit about 2 hard (top weight) work sets
Bent row same
Semi stiff leg Dls or good mornings 2-3 x 10-12
Day 2 Wed
Alternate sets on 1. Overhead press (prefereable to take the bar from the floor and power clean it, but if taken off the rack, it's ok too).2. Barbell Curls same sets reps scheme
Alternate Close grip benches with DB hammer curls 2X6-8 (no warm ups needed
Day 3 Friday
Deadlift (regular) 4-5X5)same progression
Inclie Bp or P bar dip,weightedsame thing 4-5X6-8
Pullups weighted same
Split squat or lunge 2-3 X 10-12 each leg
ive been doing pretty much this exact workout, for 2 weeks now. got a few questions, though:
1) by "alternate sets", what do you mean? like, 1 set of close grips, followed by 1 set of hammer curls, repeat 3 times? ive never done this. whats the reason for it?
2) on the bent rows, ive been doing the ones where you put one knee on a bench, one foot on the ground, and you row with DB's. this cool? or should i be doing standing BB bent rows?
3) this routine totally lacks in calf, forearm and trap work... 3 of my fav muscles to work. so should i just add 3 sets of calf raises to one day, 3 sets of wrist curls to another day, and 3 sets of shrugs to another? im a drummer, and calf/forearm strength/endurance are key to what i need out of a workout
4) i am most certainly going to be doing cardio. one of my main goals is to get my heart back in shape after 10 years of smoking 1.5 packs of cigs a day ( i quit 6/7/05 ). i have a huge family history of heart problems... when should i work it in? pre workout? post? on off days?
5) i dont feel like my back is getting nearly enough work, with this... throw in some pulldowns? or maybe some upright rows?
thanks for all the help, guys.