ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:34 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Hi

I am currently recovering from a Rotator Cuff injury and I am at the stage where I am lifting again but just taking it easy i.e. not using maximum effort yet but feeling quite positive about the whole thing.

I spoke to and saw a few different 'professionals' a while back and found a good physio in the hospital, i think... Now that I am actually back in the gym I want to use a 'sports therapist' just to enforce my recovery, which it would do, if the person knew their stuff. The one I am seeing just now comes recommended and I have had one session, however, I am in 2 minds as to whether it is worth the money or not due to this professionals views conflicting with the last professionals views......

How do you know if a sports therapist is advising you in the best way? I would like to see a check list type thing to refer to i.e.

1. Ask them if they advise squats? if they don't, they probably do not understand or agree with your goals, or squats. (obv if your improving strength or size)

2. Do they advise leg extensions? If they do, stop seeing them ;-) etc etc etc

I don't know about the U.S, but I feel that this is a big problem in the UK. Here, you can go to college for 2 years, 15 hours each week then come out and call yourself a sports therapists, or a physiotherapist even. Infact, if you want a propper physiotherapist, you need to look for a 'chartered physiotherapist', not just a physiotherapist...

Thanks

KP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:24 am 
Rookie
Rookie

We don't have a problem with physiotherapists in Canada, except that there is a year and a half waiting list to see one, but there is a wide difference in personal trainers. I think most of them advise in the way in which they were taught. That's where the onus falls on you. Do research, know your own body. Know what works for you and what doesn't.

I recently went to a fitness conference and attended 10 seminars. Most of them were on the kinetic chain and exercises to use. All 10 presenters came from different philosophies, but the bottom line was the same. They all recommended the same exercises for the same problems, no matter what their overlying theory was. Of course, they didn't give everything away; they wanted you to attend their own private clinic.

I wouldn't be concerned with whether he/she advises for or against squats/leg extensions, but with what they advise to strengthen your rotator cuff, since that is the weak point right now. Take what you can use from each one you meet and apply it to your situation. Take hints about form from them. No one has the complete and total answer, so you have to be in charge of your own fitness regime.

Hope this helps...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:50 pm 

Thanks for the reply.

I accept your point and agree with you. Since I have been injured I have been studying this as much as I can - which isn't as much as I want to. I find myself fascinated with all the information that i used to regard as "boring". Infact, i have just ordered a book called "the manual of structural kinesiology" and can't wait to start reading it :-)

The more I learn, the more I realise just how right you are when you said "no one has the complete and total answer".

My day job is "search engine optimisation" (SEO) and the concepts are similar i.e. everyone has different views, tactics, methods, beliefs but like training, it's far from 'black and white' and there is no one method that works for every site. However, by doing just a few searches as if you were someone looking for a guy like me, you can find articles such as "top 10 questions to ask an SEO company". I guess I was hoping for a "top 10 questions to ask your sports therapist".
Thanks

KP