ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: work out help
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:11 pm 
Offline
n00b
n00b

Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:53 pm
Posts: 14
I am currently doing a 3 day routine and would like some help to fine tune my workout routine. I do the following:

Day 1 - Shoulders & Back

Arnold Press
Upright Row
Rear Lateral Raise
Triceps Extension
Curl
Kickback
Concentration Curl
Wrist Curl
Reverse Wrist Curl

Day 2 - Chest & Back

Bench Press
Incline Bench Press
Decline Bench Press
Bent Over Row
Fly
Shrug

Day 3 - Legs

Lunge
Straight Back Straight Leg Deadlift
Rear Lunge
Straight Leg Deadlift
Single Leg Calf Raise
Decline Sit-up
Incline Sit-up

Due to a lack of space, I can only utilize dumbbells and a solid bench for my workout. Toning my body is the preference but I would like to add some strength at the same time. I currently do 2 sets of each exercise, 1 warm-up and 1 main set.

I am gaining strength and I am feeling better since I started this problem. Nonetheless, I would like to tap into your minds and see what else I can do. Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:20 am 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:40 am
Posts: 3986
Just switch day 1 and 2 around. You want to do chest and back before you do shoulders and arms.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:28 pm 
Offline
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:19 pm
Posts: 4421
Location: Pennsylvania
Doing two variations each of straight-leg deadlifts and lunges might be overkill. Likewise, it's not really neccessary to do both flat-bench and decline presses. You can probably cut the dumbbell flys also. Meanwhile, you may want to invest in a pull-up bar. I've seen some doorway mounted pull-up bars that can be used at two heights, one for pull-ups and one for supine rows (and then taken down when not in use).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:59 pm 
Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:38 pm
Posts: 139
Location: New York
Small, but important adjustment: stick the leg day in the middle.

Day 1: Chest and Back

Day 2: Legs

Day 3: Shoulders & Back

This way your upper body has more time to recover and your second upper body workout will be much more productive.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: work out help
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:21 pm 
Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:38 pm
Posts: 139
Location: New York
I took another look at your post and decided to give a more detailed answer.

It appears that you are a relative beginner. Beginners need to stick to the basics. Also, it appears that your goal is fat loss. You say toning, but toning=fat loss (http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Toning.html).

You need a fat loss program. Fat loss is about creating a caloric defecit. This is done by:
1. Restricting calories (eat clean foods - different subject)
2. Burning as many calories as possible with exercise - this means hard work.

So how do you burn as many calories as possible with weight training?
1. Perform full body workouts.
2. Select 'BIG' exercises.
3. Decresing rest periods as you progress.

Here is an EXAMPLE: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459809

That's it for fat loss.

Let me now comment on some other things I noticed.

flair wrote:
I am currently doing a 3 day routine and would like some help to fine tune my workout routine. I do the following:

Day 1 - Shoulders & Back

Arnold Press
Upright Row
Rear Lateral Raise
Triceps Extension
Curl
Kickback
Concentration Curl
Wrist Curl
Reverse Wrist Curl


Beginners don't need a shoulders and arms days. I am sorry to say, but in my opinion the above workout is a waste of time for 90% of the population 90% of the time to paraphrase Alwyn Cosgrove.

Quote:
Day 2 - Chest & Back

Bench Press
Incline Bench Press
Decline Bench Press
Bent Over Row
Fly
Shrug


WAY too much benching and not enough rowing. You see, benching and rowing are sort of opposite movements and generally speaking the volume of benching should equal the volume of rowing. Otherwise expect shoulder and posture problems.

Quote:
Day 3 - Legs

Lunge
Straight Back Straight Leg Deadlift
Rear Lunge
Straight Leg Deadlift
Single Leg Calf Raise
Decline Sit-up
Incline Sit-up


What Matt Z said about Straight Leg Deadlift variations.

Quote:
Due to a lack of space, I can only utilize dumbbells and a solid bench for my workout. Toning my body is the preference but I would like to add some strength at the same time. I currently do 2 sets of each exercise, 1 warm-up and 1 main set.

I am gaining strength and I am feeling better since I started this problem. Nonetheless, I would like to tap into your minds and see what else I can do. Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 


All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group