ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: calf machine spine pain
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:49 pm 
hi guys

i have a quick question for anyone that can help. when i do the calf raises machine where the pad is on your shoulders and you raise your calves, my spine always hurts immediately after. The heavier the weight i do the more it hurts. Usually i do around 335 or so and right when i come off the machine my spine just starts hurting and lasts for about 10 seconds or so. This cant be good so i was just wondering if anyone knows what i can do to not have this pain. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:26 pm 
You have to make sure you keep your back straight and get under it just right. I have the same problem if I don't get it just right. I usually got mine during. I would just reposition and it would be fine. It leaves marks on my shoulders though. I think the padding isn't very good on the one at my gym.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:12 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

It also may just be too much weight for your spine.

You can go down in weight until you find a weight that won't cause you pain. In this situation, just dealing with the pain is not a good idea, because it's possible you could hurt your back and make you stop lifting for a week or much longer. The only problem here is that it's strengthening your back but it will be awhile before you're adequately working your calves again.

I suggest that you find some other calf exercise; there's so many: http://exrx.net/Lists/ExList/CalfWt.html ; I just do 'em on the leg press machine.

Your back pain may also be a sign of a lack of strength in your body core. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you have the time and energy you may want to work on that. Deadlifts, squats, weighted side bends... may more possibilities. Be sure to find something you like doing and stick with it.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]