ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:55 am 
n00b
n00b

Does anyone here trains like this? I want to get on this for few months. My main concern is muscle mass and strength loss. I know that speed, endurance and agility will be tremendiously gained, since there are so many different variations.

I am thinking of taking some stuff from both videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seHiBvgxwCE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA5HzQQfOD8

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:10 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Quite a few people train like this. You will find a site that uses these moves, in conjunction ith more conventional stuff over at crossfit.com, and there are many blogs out there that support this kind of stuff. Your concerns about limit strength and muscle mass are well grounded though. The crossfit WODs (workout of the day) are arranged so that you still have some limit strength. Coach Rut, though, has taken this into account, and suggests throwing in some ME days a few times a week and mixing them up with the conditioning stuff, i.e. WOD (conditioning), ME, WOD, rest, ME, WOD, ME or WOD depending on how you feel. The ME days are up to you, Could be limits, cdould be 5X5, could be 1-3 core exercises. BTW, lots of police, fireghters, military and MMA types over there at crossfit.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:06 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

The routines look challenging. Note that the practitioners are wiry types, not mass monsters. I think that bodybuilders would have trouble doing these routines. Olympic lifters in the lighter weight classes, on the other hand, would find them useful to add to their muscular explosiveness and balance/coordination.

Happy training. Let us know how you make out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:02 pm 
n00b
n00b

I been training like this for over a month. Believe it or not it improved my volleyball and basketball game quite a bit as well. So I would say it would be good for athletes to do this stuff. Probably up to a trainer to pick the right group of exercises.