ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:42 pm 
n00b
n00b

In september, I started a 3-day week full body workout of around 10 exercises in 1 hour. This is the first time in my life I really got serious at all about going to the gym, and hadnt gone in months even once prior. Right now, im 6'3 and 168 pounds. Ive been going until my last possible rep, 3 sets, usually 8-10 reps and Im aiming to gain size and better posture. So far, I've gained 5-6 pounds (on average, my weight varies a lot). On dumbbell bench press Ive gone from doing 3 sets of 8 of 35 pound weights to the same set and reps on 45 pounds. Bicep curls, Ive only gone up by 5 pounds, and lateral raises ive seen little to no improvements. I can list others if itll help.

Is this progress about right for someone with my experience or should I consider making major changes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:25 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

In general, people should change their routines every 2-3 months, to keep from getting stale. Unless, of course, they haven't reached a plateau

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/ChangeWtEx.html

Please list your whole routine. Also, are you always using the 45s for dumbbell presses? If so, you might consider going to a heavy/light/medium scheme for the dumbbell presses and all your other exercises.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/LightHeavy.html

Additionally, are you eating and getting enough sleep? Are you doing any other activities like sports or cardio?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:49 pm 

Good progress is any progress.

In the iron game, whether your goal is overall fitness, GPP, Bulking up, strength, power, looks, whatever - its all a matter of time. Pushing yourself too fast can set you back through injury, overtraining, etc. You need to be patient enough to hang in for years to see significant changes.

As per the last post, post your routine with some info as to where you were when you started and where you are now in terms of sets/reps & weights - there are plenty of iron heads here that can give you some advice to bring it up a notch.

In the meantime, consider this. Going from 35's to 45's in the bench press is 128% of what you were doing 2 months ago - a 28% improvement. That's progress. Doing exactly the same workout today as the one two days ago, but doing it in a shorter time is progress. Using exactly the same weight in the overhead press today as you did yesterday, BUT squeezing out 1 more GOOD rep with it is progress. Stick to it, it will pay off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:31 pm 
n00b
n00b

Ill try to post a routine up next week, the only problem is, when I started, I was taking it easy on a lot of exercises to get my body used to them.

I've taken the advice on the heavy/light/medium scheme for all my exercises (Heavy days: 6-8 reps, light days: 10-12 reps). So far, feels good!

For diet I'm just eating what feels comfortable, not really following the 6 small meals a day and measuring out my carbs/protein etc each day. I just eat tons of pasta and chicken or ground beef each day. Will changing my diet help significantly? To me, the hassle isnt worth it if it only makes my workouts say 5% more worthwhile.

For sleep, Im getting more than enough if anything

As for cardio or sports, its limited, especially now its winter. A 5 minute run before a workout is about it.

Thanks for the replies so far!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:09 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Doing six meals a day using whole foods is a bit of a chore, so don't worry about it. You can use meal replacement shakes and protein bars to fill the gaps between your whole food meals if you're into them. And since their nutritional value is printed on the box, there's no guesswork about that. For a thin person like you, adding calories in six smaller meals makes more sense than doing it in three larger ones. Also, eating some protein and carbs after a workout - preferably whey protein and high glycemic index carbs - is important.

More on diet here.

Chicken and ground beef are OK, as long as the chicken isn't fried and the ground beef isn't a Thickburger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I eat the low carb version of the thickburger (no ketchup of course). It's a meal all by itself. yummy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:11 am 

I think I will quote Mr. Keith Rowland:

"Just lift, bro. That's more than most fat-assed Americans are doing."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:03 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

maybe try more weights and lower reps, or lighter weight and higher reps. or maybe more reps per exercise altogether. maybe your muscles are running out of energy before they are torn up enough. or maybe its a poor sleep schedule, not giving you rbody enough time to heal.