ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Statics
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:23 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Hello, I want to do 'statics' next week: You use your normal workout weight, but instead of doing reps you do a half rep (= a rep w/o the negative) and just hold it for as long as possible. Will this encourage the muscles to grow more or is it just a waste of time?

And it's almost time for exams so I wont be able to do my split routine anymore. Should I get a full body workout and do it 2 times a week (medium-heavy and medium-light)? http://exrx.net/Workouts/Workout1LPP.html
Is the last one on this page a good one (and in correct order)?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:33 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Statics have their plac, for people that might need help in a certain ROM, but I would never replace the full ROM movements with them. I'd add them in for assistance.
Yes, full body 2X week would get you through your exams just fine. If you do it correctly, with intensity, you might find there is no reaon to go back to splitting.
Your question on the workout template, it's fine, and should do well. However, I think the ones showing Legs first would be better at getting your hormones kicked in. Why not set up a couple of programs, and alternate between them, such as leg, push , pull, the Push, pull, legs?
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:12 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Thanks for the advice, but what is the advantage of full body workouts to a split routine, because I've read different contradictions: a 5-day split routine is best for a teenager, a full body is better for strength, others say it's for mass, ... I understand that they all have different uses when you have a different somatotype.
But what's the best for muscle mass?
I'm 16 years old and lean towards endomorph.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:55 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Wouter wrote:
Thanks for the advice, but what is the advantage of full body workouts to a split routine, .

The primary advantage is that you train (and rest) your whole body as a unit. With split routines, the temptation is to spend too much time in the gym doing a bunch of isolation exercises. While there are some well thought out split routines, the majority that are practiced in the gym tend to focus way too much on the upper body. In particular, chest and biceps.

If you begin your workout with a big lower body movement like the squat or deadlift, you can raise the testosterone and growth hormone levels in your blood. This provides an anabolic environment that makes gaining muscle and strength easier.

If you are an endomorph, you shouldn't have too much trouble gaining muscle. The problem will be in staying lean. Diet is key here. Some cardio and outside activity (sports, shovelling snow, walking, ect) should be done, but not too much. Excess activity will slow your muscles growing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:14 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Thank you for the explenation this really clears out alot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:14 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

It's a highly individual thing. Some people get better mass and strength gains from full-body workouts. Others do better on split routines. Which will work best for you will depend partly on genetics and partly on how you like to train.

PS.) Most Olympic lifters gravitate toward full-body workouts, while most Powerlifters prefer split routines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:56 pm 

It should be noted that most powerlifters do NOT do bodypart splits but tend toward upper/lower splits or lift based workouts, IE a day each for bench, squat, deadlift.

Upper lower splits basically do the same thing as lift based splits and the bench gets trained twice as much which may seem like glorifying the upper body but actually with all the gear used in the bench, it can take more time to learn to use that properly. Also, the upper body has smaller muscles which recover faster so they can be trained more often in general which if not done, would cheat you of possible gains.

I like both OL and PL and always seem torn between true full body and upper/lower splits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:15 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Even for bodybuilding I prefer lift based splits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:19 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Can I use different exercises every workout or is this less good for gaining? Eg: twice a week I'd do normal bicep curls, but the other time I'd do Hammer Curls.

And what about an extra day in which you train your neck, forearms and other not trained bodyparts (not a full workout, rather a half)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:08 pm 

That's perfectly fine. Just because you're doing full-body workouts, doesn't mean you have to do the same workout three days a week. In fact, I think it's preferable to varry your workouts if you decide to go the full-body route. This will allow you to cover all the bases, while still keeping your workouts relatively short. Meanwhile, you'll be less likely to get bored, since you won't be doing the same exercises every workout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:40 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Wouter wrote:
And what about an extra day in which you train your neck, forearms and other not trained bodyparts (not a full workout, rather a half)?

You can do that. But in the case of forearms, you'll have to rest them a day before you can do heavy pulling exercises that require a strong grip.

As for varying your workout, a word of caution: Some variety might spice up your workout, but wth too much you have a zoo, not a program. Making progress in the weight game is hard work, there's no way around it. If you're not willing to do the hard work, no magic training method will do it for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:10 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Well I'm thinking about how to do the workout, but I now have a workout with 10 (x2) exercises, it's to much for me to do them in 1 hour, because I don't have much equipment,...
Are you able to cut it to about 8 exercises (leave the least nessecary), or should I do some minor muscles three times every 2 weeks instead of every week?

1) Squat
2) Straight-leg Straight-back Deadlift
3) Single Leg Calf Raise
4) Bent-over Row
5) Raise
6) EZ-Curl
7) Bench Press
8) Shoulder Press
9) Pushdown
10) V-Up

Thanks for the effort you have already put in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:05 pm 

If you can only train twice a week, you might want to try something like this:

Workout # 1 (upper/lower push)
Squat
Bench Press
Shoulder Press
DB Lateral
Pushdown

Workout # 2 (upper/lower pull)
Straight- back Straight-leg Deadlift
Bent-over Row
Pull-up, Chin-up, or Pulldown
EZ-bar Curl
Single Leg Calf Raise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:13 pm 

Or something like this:

Workout # 1 (full-body)
Squat
Bench Press
Bent-over Row
Dumbbell Lateral
Pushdown

Workout # 2 (full-body)
Straight-back Straight-leg Deadlift
Shoulder Press
Pull-up, Chin-up or Pull-down
EZ-bar Curl
One-leg Calf Raise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:12 pm 

PS.) This is what I meant by varrying your workouts ... coming up with two or three different workouts and performing each at least once a week.