ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Workout Ideas
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:32 am 
n00b
n00b

Hi guys and gals, Im 31 years old, new to the forum and trying to get back into training. Im 6foot(183cm) and 220pds(100kgs). I have never really done any weight training (boxing background)- but recently have started and enjoying it.

My current training sched is a 7dayer with 5off for approx 45min. (my gym is at work and have an antisocial work roster) I believe this isnt a really good routine but it is the one I have to work with. My goal is to build some bulk and lose 15pds and get definition(oh yeah and to lower my cholestrol).

My current routine is Day 1 - Legs Quads
Day 2 - Chest Biceps Triceps
Day 3 - Shoulders Traps, Forearms
Day 4 - Back , Lats , Hamstrings
Day 5 - Legs Quads
Day 6 - Chest Biceps Triceps
Day 7 - Mixture of above (heavy session)
4 -5 Days off : Look after my children

I also do approx 120 push up (2 sets of 60) on each of the workout days - I havent got into the diet side of things yet but trying to have my meals after a workout eg rice, tuna (I am still researching that side of things).

Anyhow, after all that does anybody have any suggestions of how I could improve my workouts, any meals ideas? as I said I am a bit inflexible with workout days - so far after 5 weeks I am starting to get results and really motivated.

PS. I dont have any injuries except for a kneejoint pain when I run. I look forward to reading any feed back.

Cheers Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:04 am 

Jim, post what exercises you do on which days.

From initial observation, for a beginner, I'd try a full body workout. I also highly suggest you innersperse your off days in your workout days. That is if you can. You eluded to a work schedule and your shorties are more important than anything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Since it is 7 days in a row. Try doing the first 6 as upper/lower splits compound only.
like day 1, 3 and 5 would be something like
bench
row
incline bench
pulldown or chins
just 2 sets each.

Then day 2, 4 and 6 could be
squats
romanian deadlift
3 sets each
Maybe throw in a wide stance squat or a sumo deadlift to hit the inner thigh a bit too.

Then day 7 is isolation and assistance work. This would be shoulders arms and calves.
1 set of overhead press
1 set rear delt rows
2 or 3 sets each lateral raises and shrugs
a couple sets each curls and reverse or hammer curls
2 or 3 sets of a tricep exercise like close grip bench or extensions.
4 sets calf raises
a couple sets for abs weighted if possible.

After that you'll need your 5 days rest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

For that cholesterol, eliminate the simple carbs and trans fat. If you see hydroginated in the ingredients, don't eat it. Also don't eat white flour, keep sugar to a minimum and no high fructose corn syrup. Don't worry so much about other fats. In fact getting your essential fats can lower your cholesterol. Fish, nuts, some oils and some supplements can help. Fish oil is suppose to be the best. It gives some people the runs though. Those of us with that problem tend to like flax oil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:23 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Working out seven days straight drug free is NOT recommended. If you're not just going through the motions in your workouts, you should never work out more than two days straight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:31 am 
n00b
n00b

Thanks for the replies - Just a few questions do you think It would be more bennoficial for muscle recovery to take a break or do cardio say on day 3?.

As for the cholestrol I have started watching my diet - Im taking multivitamins(SWISSE) and fish oil and have cut out my Fast Food fetish. Im thinking about adding some protein shakes/bars to my diet after workouts.

I have been taking my training serious - I have slowly been increasing my weights Im benching currently 160pds and my goal is to bench press my body weight.

Some of the exercises i have been doing are 4 sets 6 reps (last 2 heavy)

Chest, Biceps & Triceps
Bench Bress
Incline Bench Press
Barbell Curls
Dumbell Curls

Legs, Quads
Barbell Squats
Lying Leg Curls
Sit Down Hamstring Extensions (machine)

Shoulders, Traps,
Shoulder Shrugs (Barbell)
Behind Neck Press
Lever shoulder press

Back, Lats
Lateral Raise-(machine and cable)
Bent Over rows
Assisted Bent Over Rows (Machine)

Im pretty focused when I train - because I work nightshift Ive got the gym to myself - so no distractions. Any workout ideas with my days off -I try and do situps and pushups if there is nothing happening.

Thanks for the workout suggestions I will give them ago - Im looking at changin a few of my exercises for variety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:05 am 

Watch out for the cholesterol in your protein.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:57 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Laterals are a shoulder exercise, not a back exercise. Also there's no real reason to do two types of overhead press. Meanwhile, I'd suggest adding some type of chin-up/pulldown movement for back/lats and some type of deadlift for hamstrings. Finally, your probably better off doing shrugs at the end of your shoulder workout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:33 am 

Also, what are Sit Down Hamstring Extensions? Ordinary leg extensions are a quadriceps exercise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:49 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Jimboss wrote:
Thanks for the replies - Just a few questions do you think It would be more bennoficial for muscle recovery to take a break or do cardio say on day 3?.

Unless your cardio is walking, you should skip working out on the third day. As you get further into weight training, rest will become more important for you to make progress.

Matt Z wrote:
Also, what are Sit Down Hamstring Extensions? Ordinary leg extensions are a quadriceps exercise.

He probably meant seated hamstring curl machines like this one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:50 am 
n00b
n00b

Apologies for my ignorance I did mean seated hamstring curls and laterals are a shoulder exercise - Im getting slowly getting familiar to the terminology - good place to learn :).

Ironman I will incorporate your suggested workout starting next shift - Matt Z thanks I have moved my shrugs to the end of sessions and incorporated chinups -(so far can only do 3).

I have a question and I think I know the answer but would like to here it from a veteran - This is the scenario:

- I am 6ft and 220pds my body shape is quite balanced(stocky), I want to bulk up a bit more around the chest and back areas and build strength in my legs - and once I had accomplished that I was going to trim down to lose the weight around my waist and show muscle definition. My biggest worry is my stomach (love handles) - I have been doing 120 situps ups with a medicine ball each session and thinking of running 4.5Kms three times on my day offs but I am worried that this will have a major impact on my bulking up work - should I just wait untill I have accomplished my first goal as planned - or should i incorporate the running?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can't spot reduce, stop with the situps. Keep the running to a minimum for now. When you are done bulking, keep doing the same workout but add the running and reduce what you are eating and cut the carbs down.

Of course if you have knee pain running might not be the best option for cardio. You might want to try barbell/dumbbell complexes maybe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:15 am 
n00b
n00b

Ironman why do you suggest stopping with the situps - I thought that situps didnt have a big effect on weightloss - I thought it would help with giving me headstart on a six pack?

I probably wouldnt run maybe cycle or treadmill.

Cheers Jim

Post subject: Re: Workout Ideas
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:49 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Jimboss wrote:
Im 6foot(183cm) and 220pds(100kgs)...My goal is to build some bulk and lose 15pds and get definition

Is 205 your goal weight?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

They won't do much for you. Your abs get most of their stimulation from squat and deadlift variations. Then you can do weighted situps on a decline. It should be hard so you can only do a few of them. If you can do 120 it's not helping much.