ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:12 am 
n00b
n00b

Hey everyone,

I have been on a plan to gain weight as well as muscle mass for the past two months or so. During these two months, I have put on a tremendous 20 lbs... I am still skinny (150 lbs. now), and would like to gain another 20 lbs. However, I am somewhat concerned by the issue that I have now have a small gut forming at my stomach. Do you guys have any solutions or techniques I could use to get rid of this nasty stomach?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It sounds like you need to take it easy on the simple carbs. After workout should be the only time you have any.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:43 am 
n00b
n00b

that's the thing, I don't think I eat simple carbs at all...

Daily foods I eat:
- Hard boiled eggs
- Pasta with meat sauce
- Chicken breast sandwich
- GNC MealPlex Meal Replacement Powder

One person has suggested that I go into a "cutting" phase, but I have yet to see that listed on this site. What do you guys think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:44 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

The terms simple and complex carbs pretty much went out the window some years ago, in favor of low and high glycemic. Some "simple" carbs such as apples, are actually very low on the GI scale. Just cut back on breads and pastas (hi GI) and the rest of the refined stuff. I'm sure thats what Ironman was referring to. Stick with lean meats, veg, some fruit, and some fibrous starch, such as legumes, and good fat. Plus keep an eye on caloriesand your waistline. If it gets too big, cut back.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yea that's pretty much it. If the bread in the sandwich and the pasta are made of white flour then there would be your problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:19 pm 
n00b
n00b

well, I did a bodyfat measurment last night, and it said my bodyfat was at 11 percent! This just won't do! Does anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of cardio plans I can do to get my body fat levels down?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:01 pm 

11% is quite low.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:13 pm 
n00b
n00b

Wow, I am a total newb at this... what is "ideal" for me then? I am 5'11" and 148 lbs but have this damned belly. I have cut down on the carbs, but it's still not doing much. I feel like I should just go all out and start doing cardio.

A good friend told me that I would not lose my belly until I moved down to around 8% body fat. It's crazy to get such conflicting advice all of the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:02 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Sounds like you pretty lean already. Just pack on some more muscle. The bigger your chest, lats and shoulders are, the smaller your waist will seem by comparison.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Until you get under 10, you can still be lacking on definition and maybe have a couple squishy spots. Especially if you used to be pretty heavy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:55 am 

At 5'11 and 148 I doubt he "used to be heavy". I am an inch taller than him and have almost 100 lbs on him and I am only 18% bf. Sounds like some lean muscle mass gaining is in order. This in itself will lower your bodyfat just by adding non-fat mass to the equation. Make sure you have good posture and don't do the belly hang where you let your abs just hang out and give you the pooch. Not only does this cause aesthetic issues but it is bad for your back and posture overall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:37 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I'm 5'9 183 with about your body fat %... and there's still some "squishy" spots, for me on the obliques and right under the chin. The key part is realizing that you're better than the vast majority of the populace. Those of us who get into fitness like to look at our gains (stare at ourselves in mirrors), this leads us to pick up on and magnify flaws that a normal person wouldn't even notice.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:56 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Quote:
I have been on a plan to gain weight as well as muscle mass for the past two months or so.

What have you been doing, exercise wise, to gain muscle mass? Remember that more muscle burns more fat. The biggest and fastest growing muscles are in your legs. Start squatting, bro, along with rows, deads, and barbell presses. What you don't put in your mouth will take care of the rest.