ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:17 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Are cold-like symptoms fairly common? I feel like I may be overtraining myself by doing this schedule...

Day one- barbell leg workout (Squat, Straight-legged deadlifts)
Day two- dumbell chest/shoulders (Dips, Flyes, Shoulder presses, tricep extentions)
Day three dumbell back/biceps (Rows, Curls, Hammer curls, pull ups)
Day Four- Sprints in morning, exercise bike& bodyweight lunges in evening
Day Five- Bodyweight dips and 20 mins swimming
Day Six- More sprints, exercise bike&bodyweight pullups in evening
Day Seven-Off from everything

My whole idea is to get a workout in almost everyday but not do too much of anything. I was just kind of curious if overtraining was more common with too much weights or too much cardio. Also, is overtraining more common from just working out a specific body part too much, or just exercising too much in general? If its mostly do to say, training legs to many days in a week, it would be an easy switch if you know what I mean. Basically I am trying to shed some bodyfat, so I guess its also worthy to mention I am trying to limit myself to 1400-1700 calories a day. I don't know if that also helps contribute to overtraining.

I guess what I really want to know is overtraining simply working out too much, or do other factors like not eating enough/sleeping enough cause it? It seems like in the past I will get sick when I start doing too much exercise,regardless of how much I eat/sleep. I am assuming that is overtraining, so does it tend to be a result of lifting or running more? This is probably pointless because I am sure most will say it varies with everyone...but I would like to know because I think right now I am in early stages of overtraining cause I am feeling a little sick. The problem is I never know if its just me getting the cold or overtraining. I guess if overtraining is usually the result of lifting...I'll stick to just running/HIIT and is the other is true, than vice-versa.

Sorry If I rambled on...I just am trying to be as complete as I can...I always have too many questions. Anyone who actually takes the time to read through all of this and isn't too confused to answer...thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:29 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Also one more thing I should ask, which one would be more effective in elminating body fat...HIIT or Weightlifting? From what I've read, they seem to do similiar things...boost the metabolism for a long time after your done. I plan on doing at least some cardio (20 mins) 3 times a week as to not overtrain myself with that...but really focus on the metabolism-boosting exercise, because I am not really to concern about putting on some weight so long as its not fat (I am 6ft and around 180 pounds). I am not morbidly obese by any means...I just want to those some fat around my midsection so my abs can see some light!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It really depends on how many sets you are doing and with what intensity. Are you loosing strength at all? Getting nagging little minor injuries, no motivation and that sort of thing? Feeling sick can be part of it. It does sound like you don't eat enough. I would up your calories to 2500 and cut your carbs a little. No sugar, white flour or other general junk food either. Eat your carbs mostly before your workout and then some at breakfast too. Then you want to stick with mostly meat and veggies the rest of the time. Do weight and just a little hiit. Only add more hiit if your not making slow steady progress. You are going to need a little more muscle mass if you want to get really cut though. It can make things easier. If you have trouble progressing, try a bulking phase, an extra 10 pounds of muscle can make a huge difference.