ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello~
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:56 am 
former lurker

Hi everybody~

Absolutely complete fitness newb here. For various reasons i'm not in the shape i'd like to be, which brings me to the reason why i'm here. I'm seeking fitness advice on where to begin for beginners. Beginner routines, nutricion info, anything helpful really. What's good, what's not.. I don't have access to a gym, so I can only use home-gym and equipment of the likes. (Dumbells, etc.) Any help is appreciated thanks.

Info that might be usefull;

Male; 22 years old
Ht; 5'6"
wt; 160lbs
Areas that require help; Abs/Core, Chest, Bi's & Tri's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:15 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Welcome. You cme to the right place. Before answering your questions specifically though, as a newb, I will direct you where to go. This site is an encyclopedia of info. Go back to the home page. Read the beginners page. It will basically send you off on a fullbody routine, and direct you to where to get the info to put one together. Then take the links to the Weight Training section, and you will find out about how to set a routine up, exercise selection, and the Exercise and Muscle directory has video clips on how to do them. There is a full Section on Nutrition. Read through it. It should answer about 90 percent of your questions. If you have any specifics after that, ask away.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Also let us know exactly what equipment you have. Like bench, rack, barbells dumbbells and so on, that way we don't tell you something you don't have the equipment for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:54 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Tim's response here made me think that elastic bands might be a training option for you.

Although I have to be honest - if at all possible, you should join a gym or Y, at least in the early part of your training. If you absolutely can't join because of finances, then so be it. But if you can afford to join but don't because you want to save some money, you might find it to be a false economy. Working out alone at home, besides being taxing to your motivation might also be dangerous if you start using heavy weights