Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Program help
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:27 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hi everyone.

I'm looking at developing a weight training routine for a female friend. She currently runs aprox 3 times a week, but would like to start using resistance training as well (she dosent want to bulk though).

What would be some good exercise's and reps to look at?

Thank you,

Anthony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:39 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

First of all, a women weight training is NOT going to "bulk" until after years of serious training, and probably not even then. She will develope good muscle tone and "curves" though, so don't even let that enter into the equation. This is because females (most anyway) just don't have the natural hormones to do so.
Second, there are many ways to start out. I suggest you stay at this site, go back to the home page, read the beginner's page, then go to the weight training section. You have all the info you need. It will point you to a full body routine, 2-3 X week. From there see the templates, it will guide you throughprogram construction, exercise selection, complete with a muscle and exercise Directory which has video clips, and will guide you through set/rep possibilities. For a beginner, 1-3sets in the 8-12 rep range would probably work well. Just do the research, with her goals in mind. If you have questions after that, this forum is a good place to ask.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:48 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thank-you for the quick response and for the information. I will definatley check back on the first page (i have looked around before, and have used it for my own training).

Anthony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:02 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I agree with Tim. She's definitely not going to "bulk up" overnight. Women in general tend to add muscle mass more slowly than men (although adding even a small amount of muscle can have a signifigant effect on stregth). Meanwhile, she'll only continue to make gains as long as she keeps increasing variables like the amount of weight she's using, the number of reps, set, and exercises. Therefore, when she does eventually reach her desired level of development, all she has to do is stop adding weight to the bar and she'll rapidly go from building to maintaining.