ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 50 rep sets
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:54 am 
former lurker

Hello everyone. Long-time lurker, first-time poster here.

Back when I was in college, my roommate would do 50 squats, followed by 50 pushups, and then 50 situps. He would rest for a minute, and then repeat the three exercises two more times. So in the end he completed 150 of each exercise. He did this every morning and managed to gain less weight than the rest of us.

This got me thinking. What would the benefits be of doing a full-body routine, made up of five or six exercises, made up of 50 rep sets? No more than 3 sets. And, after some time, could one do this everyday and maintain something like this?

Miguel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:12 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Performing sets of 50 circuit style your litterally doing high intensity cardio, so you'll get all the benefits of cardio. However, you shouldn't expect to make signifigant gains in terms of stregth and muscle mass. For that, you'll need to go much heavier with fewer reps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:18 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Miguel, Mat is pretty much right on. Now, they do have a place in a conditioning program, because as well as high intensity cardio, if things like pushups, ropeclimbs, etc are included, they can contribute significantly to strength/endurance. When mixed in with other forms of fitness, they can be highly beneficial, especially for fat loss purposes, I just wouldn't do them exclusively. For an idea of how to mix these up with other forms of fitness, see crossfit.com. They mix up limit strength, strength endurance, cardio, etc over a period of time. What you described, are what they call "chippers", and show up every so often in their WOD's (workout of the day).
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:24 pm 
former lurker

Thanks for the responses guys. That's very interesting.

Tim, from reading over at crossfit.com, I understand chippers to be a group of exercises, to be done one after another (circuit style), for set number of reps, no set time?

I also found this definition at gymjones.com:
chipper - An "open-circuit," meaning that a Chipper is composed of non-repeating movements executed at low to moderate loads and high repetitions with emphasis placed on metabolic stress over muscular stress. A typical Chipper will last 15-25 minutes.

I've never worked out this way but I'm wondering if doing something like this on off days (from lifting), how it would "subsitute" for cardio?

And looking at some chipper workouts at gymjones.com, they are made up of 100 repitions:

http://www.gymjones.com/schedule.php?date=20060220

There is no way I can 100 burpees non-stop. So does someone do as many as possible, take a breather, repeat, until they reach the set number of reps? 100 in this case?

Thanks again guys,
Miguel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:55 pm 

Yes, Miguel, you have the chipper concept down. It is basically one set of a sring of exercises, trying to complete it in the shortest amount of time possible. How fast? is how I look at it. Now, as to loading for this, well, yess you can keep the weight light enough to do how many reps they list straight, but quite frankly, I like to keep the weight up and partition it. Lets saythey call for 25 total reps (just an example out of the blue here), I will probably do 7, catch my breath, another 7, repeat until I have 25 total reps, then go on to the next.
Another concept they use is to give you a circuit, and how many can you do in x amount of time, say 20 or 30 minutes. How does it play with cardio, well, just try it, you'll be huffing and puffing. It's somewhat comparable to HIIT cardio. An example is Cindy; 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats, as many rounds as you can in 20 mins.
Now, personally, what I like to do is not follow them eactly as written, but use it as a guideline. For example, day 1 I might do a chipper (how fast?), the next I'll do some ME or "normal" strength work, i.e. I'll pick 2 core exercises and work them up to a heavy max for 5's, 3's or maybe even a single, and the following day do a "how many?" day in a set amount of time. Take a day off, then go ME, WOD, ME. It's a good way to mix things up without going stale on any one method.
Good training
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think that kind of cardio is more effective then standard aerobics. There are so many ways to do it too. You can just pick a few compound lifts and do a few reps of each one after another, rest a minute and do it again. Then just keep going how ever long you want. Anything that gets you moving a light load with several muscles at once and repeated for a desire length of time will do it.

An example would be doing floor press or overhead, row, squat, deadlift of some kind, 10 reps each all in a row. Rest a minute or a few seconds and go again. You can adjust how hard it is with the weight of the barbell and the length of your rest between circuits. So even if you can't do 100 burpees and you can barley do a pullup at all, you can still do that type of workout. It can be made a good challenge for someone at any level by adjusting your 2 variables. Of course this is an example you can do Olympic lifts or complexes or whatever you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:42 pm 

If you like body weight cardio, alternate between jumping pull ups and push ups. Do 5 of the jpu's and 5 pu's, rest, repeat... HIt's the whole body in terms of muscles and is great high intensity cardio. You can put in a lot of volume with this too.

If you want good cardio with weights - you can't beat the javorek complexes or variations thereof. A simple complex i like is:
-hang clean
-front squat
-overhead press
-RDL
Complete as many continuous reps as possible, rest, repeat. Don't even count reps.

Use your imagination.