ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:49 pm 
n00b
n00b

Doing a full body workout at the gym today, I moved my chin up work to early in the session, before any other leg work. I was surprised to notice how the chins affected my legs, i.e., made them feel like I'd done a set of light wt. squats. Guess I'd never noticed it before because I've always done the chins later in the session. I understand that chins are a compound movement, but today drove home the point emphatically. Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That is the same sort of problem I have with pairing certain things together. Usually with full body the volume is low enough to where nothing has been hit hard enough to give me those problems though. The only issues I have with them is all the warm up sets you have to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:16 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Don. Glad to see you posting over here. Maybe you can convince Kenny and Lisa to do the same. I've never felt chins in the legs, and I do them daily. Us old folks like tokjeep mobile, and chins, dips, and overhed squats do it for me every morning. As to full bodty, well someone once referred to chins as the pper body squat, and I'm not sure thats a wrong analogy. Combining it with push movement and throwing in some squats, well, you would have a full body workout right there.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:16 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Sometimes, I feel my hamstrings contract durring chins, but this doesn't make them an effective leg exercise. They are however a great upper body movement for the upper back and arms.

PS.) The hamstrings are also worked isometrically durring barbell rows, but these are still no substitute for standard or straight-leg deadlifts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:07 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I can't say I've felt effects of chin-ups in my legs, however, is it possible the weight in your arms (back) you are carrying for squats is making it feel like your legs are tired?

No solution, just a thought..

Best wishes.