ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:22 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Hello,

I was wondering what ideas you guys had for adding weight to standing calf raises? I work out at home so I don't have access to some of those nifty machines. I've tried using the barbell in a squat rack, but I've really had problems maintaining my balance to actually get the reps out. (I tend to fall forward, or I can't get my feet up onto the platform, etc.)

Previously I had been loading ~100lbs of plates in an old bookbag and putting that on my back. That allowed me to get onto a platform and my hands were free to balance myself on a nearby column. This has worked great but I'm ready to move the weight up and I can't fit anymore plates in the bookbag; plus she's seen better days and is beginning to let go.

I was thinking maybe a dip belt, but how much weight can you realistically put on those without tearing your hips off?

How do you folks do it?

Thanks,
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:19 pm 

I do most of my calf training by jumping and doing heavy leg work like squats and deadlifts.

You need a lot of weight on the calves if you are going to do much of anything in terms of training them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:03 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

one legged calf raises, using your opposite arm to balance you (right leg, left arm). As you get used to them, drop the supporting arm to work on balance.

I personally do a body-weight calf raise program. I start out doing 25 on each leg to warm up. Then I move up to 30, rest 1 minute, 35, rest 1 minute, 40.
Then I instantly go into 2 legged calf raises, doing 30 of them in 4 different positions (shoulder width, legs spread, pointed inwards, legs close together).

This workout is to promote strength as an athlete.

All I can say is that it's a thorough workout and I see results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You could try the bag, the dip belt and hold a pair of heavy dumbbells.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:56 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've put 50 pounds on a dip belt....then add to the bookbag and hold some with dumbells or something (like the last post). OF course, it might be a little awkward with all that weight in different places...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:04 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Try one-leg calf raises. Just place a 45 lb plate or a wood block under the ball of your foot and hold onto something for ballance. Then add a dumbbell for extra resistance. When you're training your right leg, hold the dumbbell in your right hand and ballance with your left.

You can also do seated calf raises one leg at a time with a dumbbell. Just sit on a bench with something under the ball of your foot, and sit a heavy dumbbell on your knee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:31 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks guys for all the good ideas. I think I'm going to try the one-legged raises with dumbbells first. That should work well. Then I might move over to some of the other possibilities when I get a little better with my balance and strength.

Thanks again and happy lifting.

-John

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:39 pm 
hi please look at the following link and tell me what you think!

nc :0)

http://uk.blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-klZeD ... ZjA--?cq=1

jwcalla wrote:
Hello,

I was wondering what ideas you guys had for adding weight to standing calf raises? I work out at home so I don't have access to some of those nifty machines. I've tried using the barbell in a squat rack, but I've really had problems maintaining my balance to actually get the reps out. (I tend to fall forward, or I can't get my feet up onto the platform, etc.)

Previously I had been loading ~100lbs of plates in an old bookbag and putting that on my back. That allowed me to get onto a platform and my hands were free to balance myself on a nearby column. This has worked great but I'm ready to move the weight up and I can't fit anymore plates in the bookbag; plus she's seen better days and is beginning to let go.

I was thinking maybe a dip belt, but how much weight can you realistically put on those without tearing your hips off?

How do you folks do it?

Thanks,
John