ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:19 pm 
I was just wondering... Is it legal to practice olympic lifts in gyms like the YMCA? Or are we strictly supposed to do non-OL exercises?

I ask this because I read an article somewhere online saying that someone did olympic lifts at a gym, and someone told him he was not allowed to do them there.

Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:49 am 
It's been a long time since I did a workout at the Y, but....l used to do it while I traveled, since Y's are cheap day use gyms.

The Y's I have used always had a separate free weight room that was virtually EMPTY. Almost everyone at the Y was in the cardio room, with a couple in the room with the machines, and a host of old folks in the pool.

I could have grunted, sworn, or crumbled under a bar without anyone noticing.

No one there would have noticed if I was doing any O-lifting.

Now...your standard 24 hour fitness might be a different story.

Mostly, I'd say that if a gym is opposed to Powerlifting or O lifting, you'll notice it by the signs all over the place that say things like "No Chalk" "No Grunting" (seriously) and "Do Not Drop Plates"

I've also been places where you'd expect them to be against it and they aren't. Like..the Las Vegas Golds. The place is packed with cardio gear, and filled with slim, beautiful people..dancers, show people... But in the back corner there's a Power Room that has boxes with chains, 2 power racks, boards for board presses and other PL accessories.

Really, the best thing to do is to check out the gym you are thinking of joining and ask plenty of questions.

But if it's a question of using an occasional gym while traveling, I think the Y is a good bet.

dian in spokane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:48 pm 
YMCAs seem to varry widely in what they allow. Also, it's not only YMCAs that may not allow Olympic lifting. Many gyms/fitness centers/health clubs do likewise, and quite a few try to discourage any heavy lifting. This latter category unfortunately includes my current gym (I'll be leaving soon). This is unfortunate because it used to be a pretty hardcore place before the owner decided to gradually drive out anyone who likes to work hard and lift heavy. Apparently, he feels that he can't make much money off of guys like me who aren't intersted in things like Spinning/Yoga/Pilaties classes, pesonal training, massages and sessions with the chiropractor (that actually have a chiropractor office upstairs). Meanwhile, he's afraid we might offend the delicate sensabilities of soccer moms who are more interested in drinking coffee and socializing than they are in working out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:21 pm 
Well... I went to my locall YMCA yesterday and did bunch of Power Snatches and Clean & Presses. There were a few YMCA fitness advisors who work there. I don't think they knew what I was doing because they left me alone, though a bunch of other guys on the bench press were staring at me.

I guess I'll just do my own thing until somebody tells me to stop, then when they're not watching, I'll keep doing them.

Oh yeah... today... my traps ore killing me lol... I may have over done it wit the Oly Lifts.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]