ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: question
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:29 am 
On training days I workout well and eat well(more than 3000 cal).But on non training days,sometimes I feel very hungry,is it natural,since muscles are recovering after the workout the previous day?
Is it ok to eat much more than the daily requirement level on non training day,if the body is asking for more food?
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:40 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Yes, generally you should eat about as much on rest days as you do on days you workout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:01 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I look at nutrition as fuel for the body. I plan my meals in anticipation of upcoming activity, therefore I will tend to eat larger protions earlier in the day and less in the evenings when my activity levels are lower, the only exception being my post-workout meal which sometimes may include almost up to 30% of my total daily caloric intake.

Regardless of the size of each individual meal, all 4 to 6 meals daily will total my daily caloric intake, which I calculate based on my weight, basal metabolic rate and an activity level.

On non-workout days, my caloric intake is less than my workout days simply because I eat in anticipation of activity level. Nevertheless, my weekly caloric intake remains unchanged because if I eat more on one day, I'll eat less on another and the total remains unchanged.

As for feeling hungry, I find this is cyclical in nature. Sometimes I'm more hungry than usual for no apparent reason, while at other times I'm simply not hungry at all- for no apparent reason.

My own experience tells me: if you're hungry, you should eat, just cut back a little later on in your day when you're not hungry. Otherwise, you'll eventually feel starved and consequently overeat- which will undo all your efforts.

Best wishes.