ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NSCA-CPT cert?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:37 pm 
n00b
n00b

Im sure most people looking for a personal trainer won't really care, but how respected is this certification? I don't have any college so the CSCS is totally out of my reach, but i've got a good backround in sports training and have a lot of excercises most personal trainers probably wouldnt think to include in their workouts.

I'm really looking for something to do that will pay me well, afford me my own hours so i can get back to school, and something i will thoroughly enjoy. helping people meet their fitness goals fills this void pretty well, i'm just wondering how well respected the certification is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:26 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Although anyone can read the information and make up a workout regime, I would say that the certification from a respected agency is important. Most people are given the advice to request the trainer's certification when hiring a personal trainer. I wouldn't hire one that doesn't have any, or has one from an unknown source. And I sure wouldn't pay the going rate to someone who doesn't have credentials.

I'm not sure of the pre-requisites for certification in the US, but to my mind, ACE is a respected course.

If you are thinking of going into the personal training business, then you need to back up your claim to be a personal trainer- this means certification. You should also explore liability insurance. By prescribing an exercise regime, you can be held responsible for any injuries that might occur. As for your own hours, you may have to go along with the times that are convenient for your clients, not yours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:54 am 
n00b
n00b

i totally understand that... I was just wondering how well respected the NSCA cert is. They have liabilty insurance as well, pretty much everything's included when you join them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:40 am 
Rookie
Rookie

The NSCA is an excellent agency and both the CSCS and NSCA-CPT are well accepted and respected credentials in the industry. You simply cannot go wrong. But then again, perhaps I'm biased.

In my mind, the CSCS is an athletic certification, far different from a personal trainer certification. If your goals are to work in highschool, collegiate or university (or other) team sports, then you're better off with an athletic certification. If you want to help train the 'generally healthy' population with their health and fitness goals, then choose a personal trainer certification.

Whatever your goals and preferences, stick with the top half dozen or so agencies. You'll be glad you did, down the road.

Best wishes to you.