ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:09 am 
n00b
n00b

I have been doing cardio and weight lifting for half an year. I have practised sports my whole life, but this last half year I have concetrated in swimming (4 times a week, about 2 kilometers each day, 40 minutes), and weight lifting (2 times a week, the "Simple Workout" that appears on this site).
I've been able to lose weight, gain muscle, feel better, etc. I do still have fat around my stomach. Not a lot, but it is there. Although it has decreased as I lost overall weight, now it seems to be quite difficult (impossible?) to keep on losing this fat.
I am 27 yrs. old, 1,97m tall, 83kg. and the question is:

Should I still keep on losing overall weight in order to lose this stomach-fat?.
Is there any way to lose this hard to lose fat without losing overall weight?.

I think my overall weight is just OK for me (half an year before I was almost 10kg. heavier).

Thanks a lot.

Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:16 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

For most men the midsection is the first place they store excess bodyfat and the last place they loose it. However, as long as you keep shedding bodyfat, you will eventually get there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:28 am 
n00b
n00b

But should I still keep on losing overall weight?. Or can I lose this fat if I just carry on with my excercise routine and wait?
Should I lower fats in my diet?.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, that last sentence makes me think your diet might be the problem. So I guess we need to know what you are eating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:31 pm 
n00b
n00b

My diet outlined:

Breakfast (7am): cereals with milk.
Mid-morning (10am): Some fruit (namely apple, orange, or any).
Lunch (12:30pm): Yogurth + fruit
Mid-afternoon (3pm): Fruit and/or cereal bar.
Afternoon (6pm): Cereal crackers with low fat cheese and milk.
Dinner (9pm): every day different, but always vegetables and fish or meat or chicken. Sometimes I do eat rice or soy based "rice/meat". Fruit as dessert.

I drink mostly water or low fat milk.

That's what I usually eat.

Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:57 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi. It doesn't sound like you're doing that badly, at all, but I would ditch the milk and any processed cerials. I have no love for any processed food. Here is a good article on what to and not avoid.
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nut ... ting_2.htm
Good training to you
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:01 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Thanks for the link, TimD

As a rule of thumb, if a carb source doesn't have at least 2 two grams of dietary fiber per 100 calories (and 3 grams or more is better), then avoid it. Low fiber carbs are treated like sugar by the digestive system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:18 pm 

Seems to me a severe lack of protein.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep, exactly right. In addition forget about all that low fat stuff. All the "fat is bad" studies are either junk science or mining data to get desired conclusion type of thing. With the exception of transfat of course.

In fact making sure you get your essential fats should be the main concern as far as fats go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:44 am 
n00b
n00b

Thanks a lot for your help.
One last question that may help me clarify all this stuff:

Can I gain weight without gaining fat? Moreover, can I gain weight and lose fat at the same time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:40 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Marathon wrote:
Can I gain weight without gaining fat?

Yes. You can take steroids. But there is an obvious set of problems with doing that.

Most people don't have the potential to develop Mr. America physiques. That's the reason why they have to bulk up s-l-o-w-l-y, to prevent themselves from getting fatter.

Marathon wrote:
Moreover, can I gain weight and lose fat at the same time?

Again, it's possible in a few cases, but it's unlikely in most. If you have a lot of fat to lose, you should focus on losing it first

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:14 am 
hi marathon! you sound like a very fit person! i'm wondering if it is not fat but deconditioned muscle in the lower ab area? where are you swimming? is it in the sea or a heated pool? the reason i ask is because the body can adapt to different conditions to better suit those conditions over time, i suppose it could be thought of as accelerated adaptation like evolution but over a shorter period of time. in cold conditions the body adapts to storing fat more efficiently from the calorie intake you have. please refer to my other post about this and fat + cv exercise poll info. is it perhaps well developed hypertrophic muscle in the ab area? look at the situation objectively / subjectively ( i get these mixed up! ) and please see adipose tissue as a good thing and your friend because thats what it is! just think of all the extra energy you have to use and the challenges ahead! you need to consume energy to have energy!!

you know what to do! go and do it!!

nc :0)

Marathon wrote:
I have been doing cardio and weight lifting for half an year. I have practised sports my whole life, but this last half year I have concetrated in swimming (4 times a week, about 2 kilometers each day, 40 minutes), and weight lifting (2 times a week, the "Simple Workout" that appears on this site).
I've been able to lose weight, gain muscle, feel better, etc. I do still have fat around my stomach. Not a lot, but it is there. Although it has decreased as I lost overall weight, now it seems to be quite difficult (impossible?) to keep on losing this fat.
I am 27 yrs. old, 1,97m tall, 83kg. and the question is:

Should I still keep on losing overall weight in order to lose this stomach-fat?.
Is there any way to lose this hard to lose fat without losing overall weight?.

I think my overall weight is just OK for me (half an year before I was almost 10kg. heavier).

Thanks a lot.

Martin