ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: shoulder size
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:23 am 
hi
any advice for best/proven strategy for gaining shoulder size and upper traps size ?
my shoulders are lagging behind,what should i do to see atleast some visible improvement in say, a months time?( i know this will take time but any improvement will let me know if i am on the right track or not),also any advice for preworkout/post workout meal for shoulder size?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well you first need solid routines for chest and back because the front and rear delts should get a lot of work from that. So if you are doing bench and rows (we're talking barbell and dumbbell here, not those girly machines), you should be good there. Then 1 set of overhead press and 1 set of rear delt rows should be all you need for front and rear if you are doing high intensity. If you're not going to failure then maybe 2 each. For upper traps a couple sets of shrugs will do. Then lateral raises are good for lateral delts. I do as few as 2 sets when going to failure and as many as 6 when doing a modified German Volume Training.

The biggest problem I see with shoulders is people don't do lateral raises right. You need to do them like this.
http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Deltoid ... Raise.html

Upper traps get worked a bit with this, so no need to do crazy volume on the shrugs. Laterals get a little work on overhead too, so don't get to crazy with the lateral volume either. Keep in mind too many sets will kill your progress and ruin your joints and tendons. Less is more with natural bodybuilding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

For nutrition, you're probably good if you are growing well on other body parts. Of course plenty of protein is always a good rule of thumb. You should of course always have whey before and after. The carbs are going to depend on your body type. You mostly want them before. Now if your a skinny guy you probably want a lot of simple carbs like some dextrose or just mix your whey in a big glass of chocolate milk. If you have fat gaining type genetics are endomorph in anyway or have insulin resistance, then not so much on the simple carbs. Like I said if the rest of you is growing that means your diet is fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:40 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Just to add to Ironman, us oldtimers did quite well just doing DB and BB clean and presses
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:40 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I was wondering which muscle (deltoid or trapezius) when it grows covers the Acromion.

download this picture and zoom in the left shoulder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:51 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Clean/Press and Snatch are both good, if you like Olympic style lifts. Otherwise, you can try some form of Barbell or Dumbbell Press, plus either Dumbbell Laterals or Upright Rows for side delts, and Barbell or Dumbbell Shrugs for upper traps. Your rear delts may or may not get enough work from in your back routine depending on which lifts you use. Rows performed with the elbows out to the side will recruit the rear delts heavily. Meanwhile, rows performed with the elbows close to the body won't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:56 pm 

Unfortunately, if you have short clavicles, you shoulders may look relatively narrow even with good deltoid and trap development.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:20 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Matt Z wrote:
Unfortunately, if you have short clavicles, you shoulders may look relatively narrow even with good deltoid and trap development.

I suppose you answer my question but I think you misunderstood it.
The question is not if the shoulders look narrow or not but which muscle covers the Acromion which could happen to people with narrow or wide shoulders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:57 pm 

I don't think either muscle ever fully covers it, although developing both the deltoids and upper traps may make the gap appear smaller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mine don't seem to grow that direction. They just kind of stick up and out more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:03 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Before you decide to specialize, look in the mirror and ask yourself what you need more, shoulder mass or overall mass. I think for most people the answer is more muscle everywhere.

Here is the most intelligent shoulder specialization program that I have ever seen: http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do? ... 3-training