ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spotting Heavy Dumbbells
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:11 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Has anybody on this board tried those dumbbell spotters that hook onto a standard or olympic bar? I'm losing reps when I try to position heavier dumbbells, and there's not always someone around to lift them to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:35 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

No I haven't tried them, or even heard if them. For Dumbbell Bench Presses I always begin with the dumbbells sitting vertically (hammer grip) in my lap. I then pull them in tight against my stomach/lower chest and drop back, immediately rotating the dumbbells into position and pressing them off my chest. It takes a little practice, but once you get used to it, it works well.

For Incline Dumbbell Presses and Seated Dumbbell Presses (Aka Dumbbell Shoulder Presses) I begin by sitting upright with the dumbbells resting on my knees in the same vertical (hammer grip) position. I then either drop back onto the bench (for inclines), or mearly lean back against the seatback (for seated presses) and pop the dumbbells up to shoulder/chest height by raising one knee, then the other in rapid succession. I then rotate the dumbbells into position and immediately press them to arms length. It sounds much more complicated than it really is, and with a little practices it can be done quickly and smoothly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:48 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Quad. Although I don't have any personally, when I was on my last ship ( I used to ship out), all the guys that used the makeshift gym we had got together, pooled our money and got an O set, and also got the hooks for the DB's, and donated them to the ship for everyones use. Yes, they work great. They slip right over the bar, fairly loosely, while on the DB end they fit very snugly. You simply grab the DB's, lift slightly to clear the bar, and you're ready to go. If you miss the last rep, simply dump them to the deck, then you can use two hands to reposition it. Good stuff. I'm surprized I haven't seen more floating around.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:54 pm 

There is, or at least on was, a clip/glif on this site demonstating at least one of these techniques. I'll try to find it for you.

PS.) With either meathod, you may find that if you can complete the first rep, you can then perform at least 3 or 4 more before reaching failure. However, this has never been a big problem for me as I don't generally go lower than a 5RM on dumbbell lifts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:00 pm 

http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/Pectoral ... hMount.gif

Here we go. The only difference between this and the meathod I described for Dumbbell Bench Press is that I like to keep the dumbbells held tightly against my body until after my back hits the bench. I find this makes it less likely that momentum will cause me to drop one or both dumbbells over my shoulder(s).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:02 pm 

http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/Pectoral ... hMount.gif

Meanwhile, this is exactly how I setup for inclines and seated presses. Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:18 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Take a look at these:

http://www.powerhooks.com/

Thanks for the feedback, Matt. Those clips illustrate the techniques I have been using. However, when I lean back, I keep the dumbells touching with a hammer grip and push up at the same time. This helps me keep everything nice and tight to start. The above link will show you the hooks that I mentioned. They've been around for awhile, but I have yet to see them anywhere to try them. I've also used some BD spotters that attach to a power rack like small shelves, but they sucked when you tried to clear the lips that kept them from rolling out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:40 am 

Interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:28 am 

Quadfrog, those hooks in the links are exactly what we got and used. The one end fixes snuggly onto the DB, the other end slips right over a bar; you just get under the DB', slift slightly, and position the DB's away from the bar. Good stuff.
Tim