ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:40 pm 
former lurker

Hey everyone. Thanks to this site I've developed a workout scheme which I plan to get into in the coming days once some equipment arrives. However, I've found it much harder to find out information on general stretch routine. I still have questions like, "How long should I stretch for?" and "Which muscle groups should I cover?"

I'm trying to find/create a 5-10 minute post-workout stretching routine just for flexibilty, injury prevention and the other benefits stretching provides. I've found this slideshow on another site that claims to have 10 streches to cover all your major muscle groups.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stretching/SM00043&slide=1

It seems resonable but I have some concerns. I have a very limited knowledge in this area and yet I can still appear to see a few flaws.

- I can't find an equivalent of the lower back stretch (7) on ExRx.
- The shoulder stretch (8) appears to be a cross of the side deltoid and the rear deltoid stretch.
- No equivalent for towel shoulder stretch (9).
- No equivalent for chest stretch (11).
- It doesn't seem to cover every major muscle group. For example it doesn't seem to contain stretches for the upper arms, forearms, other back, waist etc.

Anyway, I'd very much appreciate anyones help in designing this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:32 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

There is a pretty comprehensive listing here on this site. Also, in the Exercise and Muscle directory, each exercise has it's stretche listed on the right hand side of the call out.
I can't view the slide show on your link, as I'm on webtv and don't have that capability, but here is a great article, written by a weightlifter, for weightlifters. King has written them as pre-workout stretches, but keep in mind that's after a light cardio warmup, and several light reps of eah exercise, and yes, there is a debate on before , after, and / or during. You can easily do these post workout.
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459832
Hope this helps
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:59 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I like to have a variety of stretches and do different ones on different days. There are tons of stretches to find, for each muscle group, large or small. Choose which ones you want. To save time, you could choose stretches that work areas, rather than single muscles. For example, a full body stretch.

General rules:
Never stretch a cold muscle; that is, warm up for a few minutes before stretching, or do the stretching after cardio and lifting.

Stretch slowly; no bouncing, unless you are under the direct supervision of a trainer for a specific sport.

Hold the stretch at least 15 seconds. It takes the muscle about 10 seconds to work into the stretch, so you want to hold it longer than that.

When into the stretch and holding, loosen up a touch on the inhale and try to stretch a touch further on the exhale- slowly.

Stretch only to the point of tension, not pain. As you develop your stretching over time, you will be able to stretch further.

Hope this helps...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:38 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I've also noticed that there is a lot of overlap in stretching. For example, just by sitting with your legs stretched out in front of you and touching your toes (or reaching beyond your toes), your streching your, hamstrings, erectors, lats, lower and middle traps and rhomboids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:57 pm 

Research shows that if you actually want to lengthen the muscle you need to hold the stretch for a a total of about 2 minutes. This can be broken down a bit into say 4 30 second sessions so you could go through your whole body then repeat for 3 more times.

If you are just interested in warming up the muscle then shorter stretches of 10-20 seconds are probably the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:50 am 

I've gotten good results holding each stretch 30 seconds. However, some of the stretches in my routine are similar, so some muscle groups get stretched repeatedly. Also, I would presume that there is some variation in how different people respond to regular stretching, with some individuals requiring more or less durration/frequency to see signifigant improvement.

Post subject: My routine
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:09 am 
former lurker

Thank you for the help so far guys. I think I've figured out my routine. Criticism is welcome, in fact I ask you to please criticize the routine. Each stretch is held for 20 seconds and is performed in the following order.

1. Hugging Stretch
2. Upper Trapezius Stretch
3. Side Lying Infraspinatus Stretch
4. Lying Lower Back Stretch
5. Lying Bent Leg Oblique Stretch
6. Standing Side Reach Lat Stretch
7. Side Deltoid Stretch
8. Rear Deltoid Stretch
9. Overhead Triceps Stretch
10. Behind Head Chest Stretch
11. Standing Biceps Stretch
12. Standing Abdominal Stretch
13. Seated Glute Stretch (chair)
14. Seated Adductor Magnus Stretch
15. Standing Iliotibial Stretch
16. Lunging Straight Leg Calf Stretch
17. Lunging Bent Knee Calf Stretch
18. Lying Hamstring Stretch
19. Lying (Side) Quadriceps Stretch

That looks like a lot to me, then again I'm new to this. Have I covered everything I need? Are their some I can delete?

Last edited by Serenity on Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:39 am 
Hi! nice work! i am very impressed with the professional presentation! and it's endorsed by exrx! cool! nice clear photos and correct technique! i love stretching and know the benefits of it, yoga is amazing as it also utilises deep breathing, however as a dancer from the age of 4 i know how one has to be careful with stretching and not overdoing it and going too far beyond the ROM too soon if at all. we used to do some REALLY stupid stretches which really shouldnt impress anyone with how flaming "flexible" it makes one look ( yes guys i'm not daft ). im sure theres a lot of physios out there who would disagree but then they would wouldnt they (?). look at the seriously "good" gymnastics countrys who literally push out seriously good gymnastic athletes by PNF'ing them into flaming bendy freaks that actually only have a short olympic / commonwealth lifespan. i recommend gymnastic training for adults when the bones are already formed and at their full stregnth. yoga can be started at any age and when done sensibly over a long period of time can seriously reduce the risk of injury. obviously your routine is sensible and really you cant beat a good glute stretch after a good run / climb / workout ( well ok maybe thats where physios might have a use after all! )

nc :0)

ps i'm jealous that you are on this site with your cool photos!

Serenity wrote:
Thank you for the help so far guys. I think I've figured out my routine. Criticism is welcome, in fact I ask you to please criticize the routine. Each stretch is held for 20 seconds and is performed in the following order.

1. Hugging Stretch
2. Upper Trapezius Stretch
3. Side Lying Infraspinatus Stretch
4. Lying Lower Back Stretch
5. Lying Bent Leg Oblique Stretch
6. Standing Side Reach Lat Stretch
7. Side Deltoid Stretch
8. Rear Deltoid Stretch
9. Overhead Triceps Stretch
10. Behind Head Chest Stretch
11. Standing Biceps Stretch
12. Standing Abdominal Stretch
13. Seated Glute Stretch (chair)
14. Standing Iliotibial Stretch
15. Lunging Straight Leg Calf Stretch
16. Lunging Bent Knee Calf Stretch
17. Lying Hamstring Stretch
18. Lying (Side) Quadriceps Stretch

That looks like a lot to me, then again I'm new to this. Have I covered everything I need? Are their some I can delete?