ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:54 pm 
n00b
n00b

hey,

im pretty much a beginner. i went to the gym for about 2 months in the summer, and im thinking of starting off again in a week's time.
im aiming to put on some muscle. im not skinny right now, but im not built up either. i used to be a 107kg and im down to 73kg now. i dont think i have any of that 'hanging skin'. what im looking to do, is to have a 'beach body'. i dont wish to look like a macho man; i just wanna put on some muscle and improve my body shape.
i'd really, really, appreciate it if you guys could give my some tips on what sort of workout i should go for. i think a full body workout would be good. also, how many days/week? what sort of food should I be consuming?

male, 21 yrs old, 5 feet 10 inches, 73 kg weight

id particularly like to work on my chest and abdominal region. i still have a fair amount of fat left in both of those areas, especially the chest.

thanks a bunch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:33 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Biohazard. Interesting name. I suggest you start off by going to the home page (take the link on top of the page) the Exercise Prescription on the Net. then read carefully the beginner's page. Then go to Weight Training, and look at the suggested workout templates from the beginner's page (full body, 2-3 X weekly). This site is basically an encyclopedia, and these steps should get you started in the right direction. Good training.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:22 pm 
n00b
n00b

thanks for the help, tim.

should i start with a full body workout, 3 days a week? im thinking 1 workout set of each excercise. do you think i should do more than 1 set?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:30 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

One working set per exercise should work well, at least in the beginning. Just make sure you warmup enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:36 am 

Yep,I agree with Matt. In the beginning, to develope a good base, one working set should be plenty, afte a lighter warm up set or two to get the form down and the muscles loosened up. Let's just list a "for instance". Say I was doing Bench press (I'll use that, as it is a pretty common exercise), and my working weight for that session is to be 145 lbs. I would do a set with the empty bar, very controlled, the reinforce my motor pathways, and loosen up, then I might do a second "warm up" set with , say, 95 (and the numbers are arbitrary here), and by this time I should be loose and ready for my "work set" at 145. Now, you may not need to warm up for every exercise, especially if they are similar. If I was going to do close grip or incline presses after the flat bench, I would just g right to my workset and get the one set. Something totally different though, say a BP followed by a Row, then I would warm up the rows as necessary.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:41 pm 

PS.) You may occationally have days however when your feeling stronger than expected and are able to complete your working set with relative ease. For example, you might set out to complete 10 reps with 145 lbs, and instead get and easy 12 reps. In this instance it would be perfectly acceptable to stop and add some weight to the bar for a second working set, since your first working set wasn't very challenging. Generally speaking, this would more productive than doing one set of 15 or 20 reps at 145 lbs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:04 pm 
n00b
n00b

thanks, guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:05 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I am doing a full-body routine righ now, but it is a constantly changing hypertrophy routine. That way your body will keep on growing.
The only thing you have to do, is to keep on switching exercises and to keep a log with you.
Also if you don't know what excercises work best (compound) you should go to the home page of this site, it really has got a whole load of exercises to choose from.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=508031

Edit: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=529331
This workout gives you speed and strength, which could be better for you then a normal hypertrophy workout.