ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:52 pm 
n00b
n00b

Ob wrote: I have had a sore inner elbow for the last year and a half almost.

From time to time I've had elbow pain just as you describe. Mine seems always to come from doing chin ups. When it gets bad enuf I stop the chins. Once it got so bad I laid off all bicep work for a while, until it improved some, then I started back with low intensity (e.g. 15 lb. d.b.) curls avoiding explosive moves. This seemed to work as I was able to gradually increase the intensity and pretty much get back to normal over a period of several weeks. However, whenever I begin to use the chinning bar again I can pretty much count on eventually having elbow pain again. Thing is though, mine has never lasted 18 nearly as long as your 18 month misery. Sounds silly in a way, but since your alternatives are limited, you might try dropping to a riduculously low wt. (e.g. 3 lb. d.b.) with high reps (e.g. 20-25). just to see what happens. Kinda like an active rehabilitation program. Good luck, Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The problem isn't the wight. It is the volume. This chronic pain is the a smptom of an overuse injury. Kind of like carpel tunnel. When are people going to realize that you can only do so many sets when you train natural? If you are in pain you need to cut back. People dammage their joints and tendons doing that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:52 pm 
n00b
n00b

Ironman wrote:
The problem isn't the wight. It is the volume. This chronic pain is the a smptom of an overuse injury. Kind of like carpel tunnel. When are people going to realize that you can only do so many sets when you train natural? If you are in pain you need to cut back. People dammage their joints and tendons doing that.

So Ironman, you're saying drop both intensity (lb's.) and volume (reps/sets). Right? Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, just reduce the volume. If you are going to failure there is no reason to do more then 3 or 4 sets per group. You can do a little more if the intensity is lower, but even at low intensity there is no reason to do more then 10 total sets for a muscle group. I see a lot of people train to failure with 3 to 5 sets of 3 to 5 exercises (usually 15 to 20 total sets), and that is WAY too much for a natural.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:50 pm 
former lurker

hey.. I also have this same problem with the pain in my inner elbows. I feel it the most when I do bicep curls. But as you said, just if I do the motion of a bicep curl right now with no weight I hear the grinding and popping sounds that you were describing. I am 20 years old right now and I just work right through it. Some days it's worse than others, it's pretty bearable right now, but some days it's somewhat bad. Did this start for you at around my age also, and continue to get worse? Any advice for me?

Edit: I do biceps on tuesdays and thursdays, these are the only 2 days I go to the gym during the week, during the rest of the week I do about 150 pushups and situps at home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:56 pm 
n00b
n00b

Ironman wrote:

I work to failure after only 2 sets. My first set is a warm-up. I'm pretty sure it's not an overtraining injury. I suspect it's more of an initial injury that I neglected to nurse when it first happened; that, or a cronic pain injury from my job... I worked at Home Depot on the Lot dept. for a year, and pushing and pulling 10 carts at a time tends to work your forearms out pretty nicely.

Alas, I have taken off some time from exercising, but even minimal job duties and daily life (picking up the kids) can aggravate the elbow pain. I'm pretty much at a loss as to what I;m going to do. Now, I haven't taken a ton of time off, so I'm hoping that a few months will put me back into tip-top shape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:58 pm 
n00b
n00b

realworksuks wrote:
Did this start for you at around my age also, and continue to get worse? Any advice for me?

No, I'm 35 now, the actual injury happened when I was 33 or so. It's only now got acute enough to garner my attention. I suggest you get proper advice yourself before you end up in the same boat I am, a couple years down the road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It sounds like an overuse injury from your work. You should probably see a doctor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:10 pm 
n00b
n00b

I can relate to this sort of injury.
Mine is caused through baseball, as i am a pitcher. During the season, and after throwing alot of innings/pitches, i cant do bicep curls due to the pain on the inside of my elbow, and its starts to effect my throwing too.
Can anyone say Tommy John........