ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stationary Cycling
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:32 pm 
I've been getting my aerobic training with a stationary bike since I've been training seriously (for the past year) and am wondering how it might be best to increase the benefit. I am doing 25 minutes on the maximum level of the hill program, keeping a pace of 100-105 RPM, with a sprint the last two minutes of 110-115 RPM. And while I am getting a strenuous workout every time, I wonder: what's the best way to move on? Since I can't increase the intensity of the hill profile, what about increasing duration? I fear that the best advice would be to do some other activity (like running--ugh!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:14 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

You might try a different program on the cycle, to see if it is more or less challenging than the hills are. And you can increase the duration. But are you training for health or fitness? You won't get much health benefit from increasing your current workload

Cycling tends to strengthen the quadriceps muscles more than the hamstrings. So if your cardio program consists only of cycling, you will develop an imbalance between the two muscle groups.

You should add a hamstring dominant type of cardio to your routine to provide complete leg development. Running is the usual complement, but judging from your comment, this option isn't pleasing to you. Walking on a treadmill (especially on a grade) is a low impact substitute, as are elliptical trainers.

Remember to stretch after your cardio workouts. Lengthy bouts of cardio will shorten muscles even more than heavy weight training.

Good luck, and good training