ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: need help on new routine
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:02 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

i plan on working out 3 times a week on weight training and 2 times on cardio and these r the exercises i came up with flat bench press, incline bench press, squats, lunges, miltary press, deadlifts, bb bent over rows, undergrip chinups, parllel chinups, lat pulldowns, dips. i just want to focus on the major muscle groups for now i do isloation later on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:38 pm 
n00b
n00b

I love the fact you're doing a full body routine. But the choice of exercises aren't my favorite. I noticed you hit the bench twice, and really there isn't a need for that when you are doing military presses (the military press not only works the shoulders but indirectly works the tri's, back, and chest). Here is a basic full body routine I use and have used for years.

Squat
Deadlift
Shoulder Press
Bent Over Row
Bench Press
Abs (various crunches)

Notice that it's hitting the core of the muscles, now if you wanted to you could add things in there like calf raises, tricep work, bicep curls. But honestly my thinking is those get hit anyway when I work the core exercises so why bother. Now you can easily sub exercises in and out of this for example bent over row could be exchanged for a pull/chin up, instead of a bench press you could easily do dips instead. Anyway I hope this helps you.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:45 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Those are all very good choices. I just hope you don not plan on doing them all 3X week. You didn't mention much about schedules. For instance, I'd do flat BP, row, some type of squat some type of hamstring oriented movement, w/abs on one day, then on the next, pick ou what you missed, and so on for day 3
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:11 am 
Rookie
Rookie

i dont even have a schedule i was wondering if u could help me out guys i do abs on cardio days and weight training on separate days i just dont want to burn out but i plan on going to the gym this monday. i was thinking m w saturday strength training and tues and thursday or friday cardio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:23 am 
n00b
n00b

Gsus wrote:
i dont even have a schedule i was wondering if u could help me out guys i do abs on cardio days and weight training on separate days i just dont want to burn out but i plan on going to the gym this monday. i was thinking m w saturday strength training and tues and thursday or friday cardio

The schedule is really up to you. How you feel and so on. Me personally I like to do my weight training monday, wednesday and friday. My cardio is then done on a different days like tuesday thursday. If you feel like you can only handle 2 days of weight training do something like Monday/Thursday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:34 am 
Rookie
Rookie

you probably dont need 2 chinups AND a lat pull down. if you are doing it heavy, one of those exercises may be enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:50 am 

No Feartx, good to see you posting over here John. I just got back into the AOL boards via AIM. Seems to be kind of dead over there these days.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:07 pm 
n00b
n00b

TimD wrote:
No Feartx, good to see you posting over here John. I just got back into the AOL boards via AIM. Seems to be kind of dead over there these days.
Tim

TIM! how is everything going for you? Yeah I was posting on aol when I first got it back but honestly I like this board better. I just started training again, my school schedule has eased up a bit (only going 2 days a week instead of 4). Plus I figured out that bench problem, it looks funny but it definately works for me.