Barbell Front Squat
Straight-leg Deadlift
Prone Leg Curl
30 minutes cardio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:11 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Her main goals are to lose a little weight, tone up and improve functional strength. Additionally, I'd like her to include some stretching in her program, but I'm having some trouble convincing her that it's possible to signifigantly improve flexibility.

PS.) I did suggest that she try a full body program, but settled on a split routine, because she gets tired fairly quickly and often takes a few days to fully recover from a hard workout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:23 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Just an idea, aren't you just overkilling her deltoïdus anterior? You got 3 exercises which use a good amount of strenght. Won't it give her bad proportioned shoulders: there is no direct work for the lateral side and the posterior side hasn't got a real stimulus either.
You could do instead of T-bar rows, Rear-delt rows or raises ( http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Deltoid ... aises.html) this would improve the stimulus for her lateral side and posterior side greatly. (I'm just a beginner so you don't have to listen to me.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:35 pm 

Actually, in this instance, the T-bar rows are a form of rear delt row, since she's using a wide grip with her elbows almost straight out to the sides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:46 pm 

As for side delts, I've come to believe that it's not really neccissary to target them directly, since they get a lot of stimuli from basic pushing and pulling exercises, especially overhead presses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:56 am 

PS.) I'm having my wife do front squats instead of regular back squats, because she has a bad habit of bending too far forward doing back squats and not bending her knees enough. With front squats she can't bend forward without dropping the bar, so I'm hoping this will force her to use good form (so far it seems to be working).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:24 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Matt Z wrote:
MONDAY
Barbell Bench Press
Incline Dumbbell Press
One-arm DB Press
30 minutes cardio

WEDNESDAY
45-degree Barbell Row
Cable Pull-down
Incline T-bar Row
30 minutes cardio

FRIDAY
Barbell Front Squat
Straight-leg Deadlift
Prone Leg Curl
30 minutes cardio

Matt,

The program looks fine. As you noted in a later post, the rear delts get worked with lat work.

I agree that there is little need for lateral delt work.

As for her losing weight, there was a good research article in the National Strength and Conditioning Journal on the most effective method when combing resistance and aerobic exercise. The results showed that performing aerobics first and then resistance exercise was more effective.

In regard to her bending forward too much with a back squat. Front squats work. However, step ups are a great method of working the legs and minimizing the lower back.

Kenny Croxdale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:47 pm 

Some of you may also notice that I didn't include shrugs. This is because I think the upper traps get enough work from overhead presses, 45-degree barbell rows and straight-leg deadlifts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:15 pm 

I totally agree with the shrugs. I think I do them twice per year. Deadlifts, overhead presses and upper back work along with olympic lifts give you great traps.

My friends do shrugs to try to bulk up their traps and mine are always bigger but when they ask me, they never seem to change what they are doing...People are weird.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I do shrugs, but only 1 set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:44 am 

Change of plans. I had my wife try doing front squats with an Olympic Barbell on Friday (up until now I had her using one of the light cardio bars from upstairs, just to learn the movement). She promptly dropped the bar and gave up, complaining that it was too heavy to support and that the bar was choking her, even using my Stingray.

Anyway, I had her do regular barbell squats instead. Unfortunately, her form sucks, in spite of my best efforts to correct it. She has no ballance and horrible flexibility, plus she's the only person I've ever seen try to squat without moving their hips backward as they bends their knees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:13 am 
n00b
n00b

Hey Matt,

I've been trying to get my wife into our home gym for a while now, and it ain't happening. She's lucky in that she naturally has a nice body (I guess that makes me lucky too!), but we're in our 40's now and I keep explaining to her all of the benefits of working out, and trying to lead by example, etc. Still haven't got her interested, so I give you kudos for getting your wife on an exercise program at all.

Just to split hairs about her program - I know you mentioned the full body routine and she wouldn't go for it. Would she perhaps be more interested in a full body program if she were performing an A/B rotation? Being a big fan of the full body approach, I know from personal experience that in order to avoid the boredom and also to help with recovery, switching up the exercises has made a huge difference for me.

I bring it up because one of the primary motivators for any of us is to keep working out is seeing results! Of course anything is better than nothing, so she's already way ahead of the game, but I'm wondering if she'd see more results from the full body workout, as is usually suggested for beginners. Just a thought.

Either way, nice work brother.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:34 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Matt Z wrote:
Change of plans. I had my wife try doing front squats with an Olympic Barbell on Friday (up until now I had her using one of the light cardio bars from upstairs, just to learn the movement). She promptly dropped the bar and gave up, complaining that it was too heavy to support and that the bar was choking her, even using my Stingray.

Anyway, I had her do regular barbell squats instead. Unfortunately, her form sucks, in spite of my best efforts to correct it. She has no ballance and horrible flexibility, plus she's the only person I've ever seen try to squat without moving their hips backward as they bends their knees.

Matt,

Goblet squats - hold a dumbbell in front of your chest with both hands. Dan John uses this movement to teach proper squatting technique. You should address her flexibility issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:08 am 

Good idea. I've seen these before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:12 pm 

By the way, she's doing well with all her other exercises and starting to make pregress. Squats are the only lift she's really struggling with.