ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: need advice, again
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:56 pm 
n00b
n00b

i posted before, and would like to thank people for their replies. so, now, i have some more questions.

1) I am currently 73kg, 5'9, 21yrs, male. I wish to only put on muscle, not increase my body size. What sort of diet should I be consuming. From what I know, 3 meals a day, 2 snacks. Should I be consuming 160gms (1g/pound of body weight) protein? I dont think I should, though. I do have quite some fat around my belly region and around my chest. So, I think a high protein and low carb diet would be best for me.
2) Whey protein isolate before and after workout? how much should I be consuming?
3) Should I be consuming at least 265 g of carbs daily? Im really confused about this one.
4) I have a lot of fat in my chest region. what is the best and most effective way of converting it into muscle?
5) my workout routine (beginner) is : full body workout on alternate days. about 2 exercises for every body part. is this a decent workout?
6) could someone please explain what TYPES of food I should be eating for breakfast, lunch, dinner, before bed. Any online article would be a great help, too. From what I understand, proteins that get into body instantly, should be taken pre and post workout for rapid digestion and delivery to muscles. At night, milk is a good option since it delays absorption of food. am i on the right track? my bf% is around 15-16%, which seems high.

purpose of workout is simply aesthetic. I am highly concerned about the fat around my chest. I think interval training serves best for getting rid of fat around the belly, so I'm going with that for now. But, any suggestions on how to lose that chest fat would be appreciated.

thanks a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:12 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi. Full bodyworkouts are good, as are upper lower splits. As to converting the flab around the chest area to muscle, it ain't gonna happen. You have to loose the fat. It also may be an indication of high estrogen levels. Rather than address the food questions individually, I'll post two links that should answer all of them.As to the protein question, well, I'll leave that to others that use protein supps.
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nut ... habits.htm
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nut ... ting_2.htm
These deal more in generalities rather than hard fast rules, but really aren't that far off of The Zone, Protein Power, or the South Beach
They concentrate on real food, and pretty much hun highly processed foods and sugar, and lean toward paleo style eating.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:27 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Tim's info is probably more than sufficient so I'll just say a few words:

1) At first I was confused by your goals but after reading your full message I see that what you probably want to do is trim the fat off and then maybe add more muscle to make up for the lost size. Therefore I think you should approach that goal in those two stages. For the first stage (fat loss), your diet should be based on the foods that Tim recommended and you should be aiming for an overall daily caloric deficit. (Don't starve yourself.) 160g of protein should be good for a fat loss diet.

2) Sure, why not? How about 30g whey protein isolate in 70g of sugars and 0g of fat immediately post-workout? And pre-workout maybe 20g of protein from any source with any of the other macronutrients. It's not perfect, but it'll do.

3) It looks like a decent place to start. If you're not losing fat, cut back on the carbs. Generally, when on a fat loss diet, you cut back on carbs and fats and leave the protein high. Don't cut back on protein.

4) Like Tim said, ain't gonna happen. Fat is fat and muscle is muscle and they're too completely different things. It's like trying to convert an apple into an orange. You'll have to get rid of the fat first and then put on muscle if you want to maintain the size of your chest.

5) I typically pass on the workout questions and leave 'em for the experts here, since I find it to be highly individual. But for fat loss you should be doing both resistance training and some of either cardio or HIIT.

6) Tim handles this. Just concentrate on good, whole foods and work towards a slight caloric deficit. Don't worry about what types of protein are best at this point -- just use lean sources. Some of the stuff you read out there is intended for really advanced people who are "fine tuning" to get better results. Just concentrate on the basics for now. 15-16% bf doesn't seem very high and I'm surprised you have fat around the chest at that level.

Hope that helps some,
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:39 pm 
n00b
n00b

thanks a lot guys. that website that tim suggested is pretty good.
yeah, im as amazed as you are jwcalla, about the fat arond my chest. I'm not fat by any means, but for some odd reason, I cant seem to rid that fat off of my chest. I think hiit should help quite a bit.