ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: how many reps?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:01 am 
n00b
n00b

I am a skinny guy who wish to gain more muscle. Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many reps would would begin to show results.

I only do 1 session for every single exercise, and I am going to increase it little by little.

I am currently doing :

150 reps of shrugs
100 reps of curls
30 reps of sit ups
50 reps of lateral raises
20 reps of push ups
100 reps of bend over rows

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:11 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Well, it actually depends of how many sets you do with a number of reps: 3x10 is the most used muscle builder I believe, basically you do 3 sets of 10 reps with a lowering amount of weight to sustain the number of reps.
In your case, you do an awfull lot of reps especially for back and biceps. This will give you an bad-proportioned body.And with 100+ reps you will still build muscle, but you won't gain alot of muscle.

I will give you a few tips:
1) Read some articles of gaining muscle or strength, altough there is almost no correlation between the 2 the one will affect the other. I like the articles of Chad Waterbury on T-Nation.
2) Learn the basic anatomy of muscles and movements that "attack" the muscles. EXRX.net is a very, very good site for this.
3) You gain muscle by constantly changing exercises (but not to much change).
4) Use proper form to eliminate the chance for injury.

But to answer your question: you could do a full-body routine 2-3 times a week with a rep range of 8-12 and do as much compound movements as you can do. Let's say 5-7 varied exercises with 2-3 sets of 8-12 reps is a good start to build some muscle.
Also buy some skimmed milk to drink after your workout to get a low-cost protein boost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:47 am 
n00b
n00b

After all the workout, I don't see any muscle growing. Since u said it's too much, is that normal?

Actually, my working routine is 1x50, 1x100 etc. Some more, the dumbbell I use is 5kg (around 11lbs)

I'll try on the tips you gave, but do help me solve my confusion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:31 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

To build muscle you'll need to increase the weight over time. If all you do is increase the number of reps with the same weight indefinitely, then you'll improve muscular endurance, but not gain much in terms of mass or limit strength.

For building muscle, stick to sets 8-12 reps with a chalanging weight. This means that if you can do more than 12 reps with good form in a given set, then you need to increase the weight.

Another strategy would be to choose a weight that you can just barely get 10-12 reps with, and instead perform 3 sets of 8 reps each. With this method the first set will be easy, but by the last set, you'll have difficulty completing the 8th rep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:52 pm 
n00b
n00b

hey, thx for the quick reply n the explanation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:23 am 
n00b
n00b

just another question.
Since I only have that pair of dumbell, and the gym is nowhere near, would it help if i just stick to sit ups and push ups?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:38 am 

Somebody posted a site about guys working out on the street. It showed some pretty impressive guys doing whatever they could to do a bodyweight workout. I couldn't find the post and it may have been on the old board.

I personally don't think you have enough weight to do what you want to do. I would recommend dropping a few coins and getting either a olympic barbell set (300 lbs you should be able to get for less than $150) or more dumbells and add as you gain muscle.

If you do just pushups, try wide grip, close grip, push and clap, put you feet up on a bench, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:41 am 

I agree with hoosegow. Pushups and situps are fine, but you aren't going to build much muscle from pushups and situps alone. If you can possible afford it, get yourself some more weights. Also, a pullup bar would be a good investment.

Post subject: Re: how many reps?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:42 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Quote:
I am a skinny guy who wish to gain more muscle. Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many reps would would begin to show results.

As someone already posted, 3 sets X 8-12 reps with about two minutes rest periods between sets is used for bulding muscle, hypertrophy.

Along with that, you got to eat more. Six meals/snacks a day. Calculate how many calories you consume during a day and then add 500 more calores to what you are eating.

Next, consume a workout beverage before, during and after your workout. This enhances recovery.

Quote:
I am currently doing :

150 reps of shrugs
100 reps of curls
30 reps of sit ups
50 reps of lateral raises
20 reps of push ups
100 reps of bend over rows

This is too many reps.

Use compound exercises, select one from the menue below.

Legs/Lower Back: Squats, Leg Press, Step Ups, Lunge, Deadlift.
Chest/Triceps/Shoulders: Bench press, Incline Press, Decline Press
Lats/Bicpes: Bent Over Row or Lat Pulldowns.

Doing one of the exercises from each of the above catagories works just about every musch in the body. These compound exercises also maximize muscle growth.

Kenny Croxdale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:11 am 

You may be able to build some of your own equipment. For example, I'm pretty sure TimD built his own dipping bars. Likewise, you could probably make your own pullup bar, if you don't want to buy one. Just make sure it's good and sturdy.

PS.) Also, try doing bench dips between two chairs, since that's one exercise you can do right now.