ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deadlifts on a platform
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:08 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

On Saturday, I tried doing Standard Deadlifts standing on a 4"-5" high platform. Anyway, they felt great. Not only did this variation increase my range of motion, it also seemed to target my glutes and quads much more than usual, since I had to squat down much lower than I normally do on this exercise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:51 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

I did snatch grip deadlifts off a platform several months ago as part of my leg routine. I had to use less weight, but the benefit was when I went back to standard deadlifts, the sticking point at the beginning of the lift was less of a problem.

http://slam.canoe.ca/NFLCFLFuturesFitness02/1008.htmll

Quote:
Exercise #1 - Snatch Grip Deadlifts

If I had to choose only one strength training exercise to improve a player's 40 yard dash time, I would pick snatch grip deadlifts because they work the entire posterior chain (lower back and hamstrings). Snatch grip deadlifts are a bit different than your traditional deadlift in that they recruit more of the hamstrings due to the angle of the trunk and a wider grip.

Results: improve start, increase maximum speed

Description: Starting position- feet are shoulder width apart. Grip is wider than your traditional grip. Elbows are turned out. Shoulder blades are retracted. Knees over the bar. Chest and shoulders over the bar. Lower back is arched. Initiate lift with hamstrings and lower back. Maintain lower back arch throughout. Keep bar path straight.

Variations: snatch grip deadlifts off a podium, snatch grip deadlifts with chains and traditional deadlifts.

Hard-core lifters do these explosively to build power, but I didn't do that regularly in my workouts.

More here:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... _n13557346
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=586815

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:07 am 
Novice
Novice

one word of caution if your going to do extended reach deads....make sure your lower back does not round out when you lift...I personally dont advise beginner or intermediate lifters to use platform deads....and advanced lifters should use them judiciously

Scott Ismari

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:02 am 

I don't think rounding my back will be a problem, since my hamstrings are pretty flexible, and I'm planning on using my usual grip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:00 am 

The funny thing is that deadlifting off a platform felt a lot like squatting, at least at the low end of the lift. The main difference was that I felt rock solid throughout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:10 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Scott Ismari wrote:
one word of caution if your going to do extended reach deads....make sure your lower back does not round out when you lift...I personally dont advise beginner or intermediate lifters to use platform deads....and advanced lifters should use them judiciously

Scott,

Great to see you posting again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:10 pm 

PS.) Last week I did Standard Deadlifts standing on a ~4" platform with a 1 1/2" diameter bar (to improve my grip). The next day I felt soar from the base of my neck all the way down to the my hamstings.