ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Embarassment
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:07 pm 

I was in Houston last night. The nearest gym to the hotel was a 24-Hour Fitness. I paid my $10.00 and walked upstairs. There was one flat bench, dumbells only up to 75lbs. (and I might add they looked unused) and a Smith Machine. I managed to tweak my workout but held my head in shame. If I can keep one person from ever going into a 24 Hour Fitness center I can say my life is complete. Friends don't let friends work out at a 24 Hour Fitness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yea, I have seen some sad fitness centers in my day. Fortunately I never had to use them. It makes me appreciate Gold's. I wonder if they read this, because I swear half of the dumbest people don't work there anymore. It's been quite a while since I have seen anything truly stupid go on in there. It hasn't been hot in there in months either.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:57 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Hoosegow, I'm thinking it might have been just that Gym. I remember back in 96 I got sent out on business to Long Beach, and there was a 24 hr fitness down the street. They didn't have the Hammer Strength machines like Gold's, but they had plenty of free weights, DB's, benche, and several power cages. I actually preferred it to the nearby Gold's. We went into /gold's and between about 4 and 8 it was more of a singles bar atmosphere, you know, the gals in spandex, sitting on benches, tying them up, with at least guys talking and chatting with them. The 24 hr fitness really wasn't like that. Again, it was probably just the individual gyms
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:27 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Worse is when you join a good, hardcore gym only to have them sell out and start getting rid of free weight equipment to make room for yoga and spinning classes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:31 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I work at a hotel, and our fitness center consists of a crappy elliptical trainer, a decent bike and a nicer treadmill. Any gym or fitness center with a bench is a definate improvement.

Also, the gym at the school I go to (Columbus State Community College) is a piece of crap. Too many people for hardly any equipment. There is no barbell bench set there even. I know its a community college, but it has nearly as many students as OSU (Ohio state university) but the gym is a piece of crap. No one caters to weightlifters: and those that do usually either cost too much or have way to many muscleheads working out in them. I fall somewhere inbetween, which means I am screwed! It's either go to a trendy place where I do not quite fit in because I like to do somewhat basic exercises, or go to a hole in the wall "Man's" gym where I look like a shrimp. So...I just got dumbells for the home and run outside. Complicated, huh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:43 pm 

Matt, the solution is simple. go out, after doing a search on costs, get yourself a 300 lb BB set (you can get most for under 300 bucks) or find one at a yard sale, and build the rack/stands, and get a picnic bench. I'a tightwad, and thats what I did, and it wasn't expensive.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:21 pm 

"or go to a hole in the wall "Man's" gym where I look like a shrimp." (leif3141)

Who cares what you look like. Everyone has to start somewhere. Besides, being a little fish in a big pond can be a great motivator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:23 pm 

Also, you shouldn't have much trouble finding a good spotter, which is more than I can say for a lot of fitness centers.