ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What bodypart first?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:53 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I've been following a full-body plan for a couple of weeks, but it says to constantly rotate the bodyparts you exercise. If you do quads first one week, you shouldn't do quads first another week.
But I think you should do legs first, because they're the largest bodyparts and they will give you the biggest boost in growth if you train them first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would do either chest, back or quads first. Because of how the lower back is used I prefer to put romanian deadlift after suats and rows. Direct shoulder and arm work and calf raises should go at the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:14 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

It depends on the exercises. I usually work legs first, but not when my routine includes pull ups for the back. The pull up for me is a demanding exercise. It is all I can do to get three sets of 7-10 reps when fresh, so I do them first. If I did a bunch of squats or deadlifts first, I'd have to head for the lat pulldown machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:17 pm 
n00b
n00b

I am the same on pullups. I try for 3 good sets of 8-10. I am lucky to get one full set of 10. Sometimes having to put a 5lb stretch cord under my feet for set two and three and then extend sets by resorting to negatives to get a good working. pullups are not my thing I guess. I could not do them in the middle or end of a workout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:02 pm 
Novice
Novice

On a whole body workout, I suggest starting out with legs since they are your biggest muscle group and take the most amount of energy. Back would be next, followed by chest , shoulders and arms. Since arms are used in every upper body move, they dont need as much direct attention and are the smallest group , easily tired out before you can hit your larger muscles if you place them first. The larger muscle groups will suffer.

Scott Ismari

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:05 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I agree. It doesn't make much sense to train arms before chest, back and/or shoulders. Likewise, I wouldn't recomend training calves before glutes, quads and hamstrings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:24 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Actually, guys, training in the opposite direcion does have it's place. It's not common, rightfully so, but I've seen many programs, especiall in an adaptative phase, that actually work the weakest then go on to the strongest. The idea is to "shore up" the weak links first off. You'll still get work on the bigger groups, just without the loading. For example, consider this complex , done non-stop with the same weight:
Barbells used, upright row, muscle snatch from floor, behind neck push press, , ood morning, bent row. You select a weight based on upright rows. Looks like the squat push presses will be a breeze right? Wrong It's a great way to shore things up. Granted, they might only be used for a two - three week period, but useful nontheless.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As far as calves, it's really just the soleus that shouldn't be trained before. I never isolate mine anyway, I think squats gets it just fine. I actually alternate squats and calf raises. Calf raises aren't very taxing on the CNS so even when you max out at low reps, you can recover enough to do another exercise with it. So you can do a squat, rest 1 minute, do calves, rest 3 minutes and squat again. It seems to be just as good as 4 minutes rest on straight sets. Where as something like chest and back together doesn't seem to work that way. So you squat and then get the gastrocs on the standing calf and there's half your lower body right there. I like to do that 1 day and then deadlift variations the next day. It's a nice way of splitting it up so you don't have that nasty marathon leg workout that almost kills you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:45 am 

While seated calf raises isolate the soleus, standing and leg press calf raises also work this muscle along with the gastrocs. The only exercises I can think of that targets the gastrocs without assistance from the soleus muscles, are leg curls and similar knee flexion movements (unless you point your toes which eliminates gastroc involvement).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, so there's another reason why I don't need to do seated. That's weird, you would think that would interfere with my squats.