ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fat loss program
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:37 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Hello, I want to do the next program: http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=06-025-diet
Which implies to do 1 hour of pre-breakfast cardio every other day. But I don't want to get up 1 hour before I need to get up normally, can I switch it to 30 mins every day?
This would mean an equal amount of cardiotime spent, altough the plasma glycerol won't be as high.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:05 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Why not ask the author?

Quote:
Although Dr. Lowery does not hold appointments with individual athletes outside of collegiate and professional sports, he can be accessed via the Charles Staley Coaching Group

info@staleytraining.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would start with the diet. Then add a little cardio. Then maybe cut the carbs down some more, and taper them more. Then if it slows down again, knock 100 calories off. Then you add a little more cardio. As your body adapts you just throw a little more at it. I think doing more then 45 minutes of cardio is counter productive. You can also add a little HIIT after your weights. Only do enough to make you lose fat. You don't want to be doing HIIT and cardio almost every day with a crazy diet until you get down to that 5% or so and your trying to shave off that last pound or 2.

Even on the natural circuit there are prescription drugs that are not on the ban list. But really though 7 or 8% looks pretty nice. So unless you want to compete, no point in putting yourself through all that.

But I would think 30 every day would give a better effect then an hour every other day. But like I said, you will adapt, and then you will have nothing more to throw at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:05 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I think I'm going to do a progressive approach: I'll do 15 mins of pre-breakfast cardio everyday, the next week I'll do another 15 mins of running every other day (no workout that day). Then everything 20 mins, 25 mins,... But I can't do it right now (1 week vacation) because my stationary bike is broken :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:11 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

What is the target hart-rate for fatburning ONLY? And are you allowed to sweat or is it an indication that you are burning muscles?
I think the target hart-rate should be 50%?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You got it all wrong. The long slow stuff is where you burn the muscle. The target heart rate depends on what you want to do. On one of those machines, use the higher "cardio" range for your age group and not the "fat burning zone" when you do standard aerobics. For anything else you don't have time to check it, you just go by feel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:00 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

So to decrease fat, it would be a bad thing to do pre-breakfast low intensity cardio?
So decrease fat it would be better to do high intensity cardio at a later time of the day? Also I really don't want to lose muscles, I'd like it more to lose less fat and no muscle then to lose a lot of fat and some muscle.

Post subject: Re: fat loss program
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:23 am 
n00b
n00b

Hi!

i used to go running round the " penicuik triangle " every morning for several months on and off for several years, the route is 3 k and i'd get up at 6am EVERY morning for several months and run before breakfast.

BELIEVE ME it's A LOT easier 1 1/2 to 2 hrs AFTER you've eaten and i'd say to make sure you adhere to this as it can be dangerous to exercise without having eaten for a while beforehand.

pre breakfast training IS NOT as enjoyable IS NOT safe and will just PREVENT ADHERANCE to a training routine.

try doing this if you want but if you do, please compare your same route times with your after breakfast, after lunch and after dinner times as well as your mood and energy levels in a food mood and energy diary.

please let me know how it goes if you survive, don't break your leg / ankle and or can be bothered!

nicole :0)

Wouter wrote:
Hello, I want to do the next program: http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=06-025-diet
Which implies to do 1 hour of pre-breakfast cardio every other day. But I don't want to get up 1 hour before I need to get up normally, can I switch it to 30 mins every day?
This would mean an equal amount of cardiotime spent, altough the plasma glycerol won't be as high.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't think there is any hard proof on the pre-breakfast workouts. just work out when you can. I would just stick with more of the shorter duration high intensity workouts and less of the long low intensity aerobics. Do your weight training like you are trying to gain muscle even if you're not and eat lots of protein. Eat most of your carbs at breakfast and post workout. You want to lose fat slowly. Rapid weight loss is more likely to include more muscle in the loss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:48 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I think that, after reading these replies and other topics, I won't do pre-breakfast cardio anymore. I'll just do it after I've gotten home from school. I will keep up with my workouts and I won't be a dumbass as I've been last year.
I just came home from school, started doing HIIT cardio and didn't eat well (no fats and that sort of things). I became thinner, that I did, but I did lose much of my muscles.
As a short advice to everyone starting to lose weight for the first time: read some good articles before starting out and don't think you know it better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

We all do that kind of stuff. I remember the first time I lost weight after being fat. I only got my body fat down to maybe 18% or so and I totally still had tits and a belly. But I looked so thin and gaunt, it was just awful. People were telling me "hey I think you lost enough weight now". Then I gained it all back plus interest. So it happens to a lot of people.