ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:53 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Does anyone know of any bodyweight exercises that work the Trapezius muscles? Ive started performing what i call inverted pull ups. I start by hanging from a bar. I then raise my feet up in front, passing in front of my torso, continuing on until my feet are level with my head. I continue this movement, spreading the legs so that each foot then passes by the head, finishing with my feet behind my head, 180 degrees to the floor. In this postion my torso is almost if not vertical, with my backside above my head and my arms beside my virtical torso.
STOP LAUGHING!!!
I KNOW HOW IT SOUNDS.
Anyway, I then pull using my shoulders only. It feels like im hanging upside down performing a shrug. But I'm really not sure what muscles I'm using.
Anyway, once you've picked yourself up off the floor, After your laughter, I'd appreciate any imput.
CONSTRUCTIVE IMPUT!!!
Oh yea, and if you know of any good bodyweight exercises, I'd love to hear them.
Thanks D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:06 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

If you've got some strong shoulders, you could do the handstand press. This is exactly what the name implies: do a handstand to the wall (climb up the wall with your feet and 'walk' with your hands towards the wall, if you can't do a handstand). Then you lower yourself untill your head touches the ground (head is in a straight line with your body) and push yourself up.
If you cannot do this, just do a negative or a partial negative.
If you can't do neither, or don't want to fall on your face, do push-ups, then advance by raising your feet or doing one-handed push-ups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:11 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks for your reply. I've been doing handstand press ups. I can now perform 3 sets of 6 reps. Not quite sure if this exercise works the traps though.
Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:40 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Sure it does, it's just upside down shoulder girdle elevation, of which the traps are a major player.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:48 pm 
n00b
n00b

Dean,

I'm not laughing. That sounds great to me. I bought gymnastics rings to be able to perform bodyweight movements like that. I do a very similar exercise on my rings. I grab the rings, then roll back and put my feet straight up. My body is completely vertical, and I start trying to touch my shoulders to my ears. Doing this stuff is helping build core strength to.

Trying to explain why I have gymnastics rings hanging in the middle of my house is always fun too:)

You're ahead of me on handstand pushups for sure. I can only go half down right now, but I'm working the negatives to increase my ROM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:13 pm 

Anybody have the link to the street workouts that were posted a year or so ago. Some of those will build the shoulders, traps, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:08 pm 

It's on youtube.com. Just go there, then search out "Fitness from the streets" It's the first couple of videos under that title, sub title "thug workout"
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:16 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks for replies guys. Crookfit, I only weigh 130 - 140 lbs, so perhaps the handstand push ups are easier for me. I myself had to start by doing negative dips too. However it did only take about a 7 or 10 days before i could do one full handstand push up.
Keep at it, it's a great feeling once you can do them.
Thanks again all.