ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:36 pm 
n00b
n00b

I have a question regarding doing HIIT for fat loss. I know it's very difficult to gain muscle mass while decreasing body fat. However, I'd like to know if doing strength-specific training (5-6 reps w/long recovery period) is still productive while cutting body fat. If not, what type of, and how much, resistance training should one be doing in order to maintain their current mass and strength (as much as possible) while focusing on fat loss.

Also, is there any optimal interval ratio that should be used for HIIT? I've seen a number of different setups, and I'm not sure if one is better than the other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:01 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

I think strength specific stuff would be important. From personal experience2-3 sessions/ week woiuld probably fill the bill. If you look at the crossfit model, they do a 3 on 1 off cycle, doing a metcon-me-metcon type of rotation me being strength specific, metcon being metabolic conditioning, think of HIIT with either conventional sources, or done with lighter weights/higher weights or bodyweight. Sometimes they also use a metcon-me-metcon off me-metcon-me type of rotation as well. Might want to check out their site for more ideas on combing strength specific with metcon.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:42 pm 
n00b
n00b

So it is possible to increase strength while cutting body fat then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:02 pm 

Oh, most definately, but I thought your question was to maintain lean body weight (musle, skeletal tissue, etc) while dropping fat. Maintaining/increasing strength is definately NOT the same thing as maintaining/increasing muscle mass. They correlate to an extent, but strength is mostly neural, whereas mass is mostly based on hypertrophy. They do overlap. So what exactly IS our question?
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:10 pm 

As to ratio's, well, most studie I've seen are based on quick paced weight movements done with weights or bodyweight, and may or may not apply to traditional sprints, but I would guess they might. With weights, it is generally believed that a 1.5 to 1.0 work to rest, or a 1.0 to 1.0 work to rest ration might work well. With sprint/jog that might boil down about the same. For traditional stuff, like jogging or biking, I prefer the Fartlek method (do a search on it) which is Swedish and basically means fun play. They are basically mpm stict intervals. You jog a bit, then go all out, and the interval lengths and times are up to you. We used it extensivel back in the 60's and 70's for sprint/ medium distance runners, as well as for general conditioning for the other field events.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:10 am 
n00b
n00b

TimD wrote:
So what exactly IS our question?

It was three parts actually, but they were all answered. Just to clarify, I wanted to know that it's possible to do a normal strength training routine while also doing a HIIT routine for the purpose of fat loss. I also had the question about what intervals would be optimal.

One final question: I like using the ellipticals at the gym, so I'll be using those for HIIT most of the time. Is it alright to do upper body lifts on the same day, or should I separate the two routines completely?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:35 am 

Sure, you can combine them. Why not? I would just do the HIIT after the strength work.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:52 pm 
n00b
n00b

Great, it looks like this might be easier than I thought then. One more question: While I'm doing this, is there any value in periodizing the lift routine by throwing in a hypertrophy type of phase (8-12 reps, 1 minute recovery)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:51 pm 

Again, why not? Jus do a few weeks on your ME day in the hypertrophy range, then shift over after a few weeks to a strength oriented thing. Should work just fine.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:56 pm 
n00b
n00b

Yet another question: Does it matter when I eat with regard to doing intervals?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:12 pm 

I think I'd go with personal preference. When I do Metcon stuff, I get queazy if I eat much before doing that type of thing. You might want to try something light and low glycemic 1-2 hours before, and see how that works for you.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yea, eating before workout makes me feel sick too. Some people tolerate it though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:59 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Often I'll down a protein shake shortly before a workout. Being liquid they seem to move down quickly rather than sitting in my stomach.