ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:27 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I have been avoiding deadlifts because I have a history of back problems. I have had two or three stints off work because of it. Each time I was off for about a month. So I know I have a weak back. Also I am currently awaiting a Hurnia operation. At the minute I have to wear a truss to keep etherything from spilling out.(TeHe) It doesn't cause me any trouble though. My real concern is my back. I would like to try and make my back stronger, so that when at work and I'm lifting those 25kg bags of sand and stuff I wont feel my back niggling at me. Should I do deadlifts but start with very small weights, perhaps 10kg?
Any help from those who suffer as i do would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:32 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Frankly, you could do light deadlifts, just get someone knowledgeable to check out your form. But what I really think ld be better is to do some 1 arm DB work, clean and pressing, and snatching off the floor, as well as swings. Done in higher repititions, they really shore up the back in particular, and do to the offset of 1 arm lifting, thewhole trunk region in general. Add that to the fact that these moves require far less weight than the deadlift.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:37 pm 

I agree with TimD on this one. Some one-arm lifts will help out.

Also - yes - do some light deadlifting as well.

Probably most practical, most important:

If your job requires that you lift 25kg bags of sand, i would suggest bringing one of them home and "practise" the movements you use at work to lift them as part of your work out. Figure out a way of adding weight to them to increase your resistance and you can do some progressive training with the same movements to improve your GPP and train your body to work in the groove you need to perfom your job functions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:41 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Stiff-legged deads are great for stretching and conditioning. Start out with an empty olympic bar and add a little weight every two weeks. I like to stand on a raised platform, so I can get a full stretch. As for regular dead lifts, form is critical to avoid injury. Done properly and consistently, deadlifting has kept many away from the surgeon's knife.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:18 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks all. Timd, can you please be a little more specific on the exercises that you suggest?( 1 arm DB work, clean and pressing, and snatching off the floor, as well as swings)
I dont really know which exercises you mean or how to perform them.
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:04 am 

A 1 arm snatch is basically bringing the DB off the floor, in one hand, to up over your head. You start with the DB on the floor, get down into a beiginning DL stance, grab the bell, stand erect while pulling the bell over your head. In the clean and press, same start, just bring the ell up to your shoulders, then press it over head. Swings, stand erect grabbing the bell in both hands, and keep the arms straight throughout the movementbend down into the DL position , and swing it up in front of you while whipping the hips into it while you stand erect. More descriptions and pictures here
http://www.shihan.com/index.asp
Just look the lift up in the index and click on it.
The were written and shown using kettlebells, but DB's work just fine.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:39 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Are explosive lifts (even with light weights) really such a good idea for someone with back problems? I would think this might trigger muscle spasms. Wouldn't it be better to start with something slow and controled like a Straight-leg Deadlift (again with light weight) before moving on to fast and dynamic lifts like the snatch?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:59 pm 

Actually, I've known many people with questionalble backs, and they swear by the higher repition swings, say it greatly increases their endurance capabilities as far as the back goes. One person in particular, Steve F over on Bryce's board, had a bad back for years, started deadlifting and using KB ballistics, and swears by them.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:25 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Personally, I'd do light-weight, high-rep deadlifts to build up the back. Keep the spine straight, and the barbell close to the body.